Teen charged as adult in fatal shooting of girlfriend in Piute County
SALT LAKE CITY — A 17-year-old boy was charged Friday as an adult with first-degree felony murder in the fatal shooting Sunday of his 16-year-old girlfriend in Piute County, according to an affidavit.
Francisco Daniel Aguilar, 17, is charged with aggravated murder, attempted aggravated murder and felony discharge of a firearm; all first-degree felonies; and two counts of aggravated assault, both second-degree felonies.
Charges state that Aguilar confessed Monday to the fatal shooting of his girlfriend, Jacqueline Nunez-Millan, and shooting multiple rounds at an adult friend of the victim, who was in a nearby vehicle trying to help Nunez-Milan. The rounds reportedly shattered the passenger-side window and struck the passenger side of the friend’s vehicle.
Aguilar allegedly shot the victim in the leg as she tried to flee to her friend, who had reportedly driven away to escape being shot. This was happening on Docs Spring Road near Circleville around 10 p.m. Sunday.
The suspect then shot Nunez-Milan in the head at close range, killing her on a dirt road, according to the probable cause statement.
Circleville is about 200 miles south of Salt Lake City.
Driving a Ford Ranger, the suspect allegedly fled from police at about 11 p.m. The tires were spiked by officers in Glenwood, Sevier County. Aguilar was arrested about 15 minutes later, taken to the county jail and held without bail.
“Murders don’t happen where we live and so, as you can appreciate, everyone is in shock and reeling from this tragedy,” Piute County Sheriff Marty Gleave said in the press release.
Nunez was a sophomore at Piute High School.
A vigil is set for Sunday at the Circleville Community Center. Funeral services for Jacqueline will be Monday in Cedar City at the Christ the King Catholic Church followed by burial at the Enoch City Cemetery.
Today’s Top Stories
- Lockout lifted for Hunter High and Hunter Elementary Schools
- Home schools and micro-schooling defined under new Utah bill
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Full-sized Target coming to former Dillard’s at Provo’s Towne Centre
- Biden to test run his reelection message in his first State of the Union to a divided Congress
- Utah hasn’t had this much snowfall since 2011, according to NWS
- One dead after four-vehicles crash on U.S. Highway-40
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Lawyers say new Petito photos prove Moab Police ignored evidence of abuse