CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Layton man found dead after car crash in Box Elder County
BOX ELDER COUNTY, Utah — Law enforcement personnel in Box Elder County are investigating a single-car crash and subsequent death of a 19-year-old Layton man.
According to a news release, Utah Highway Patrol troopers were dispatched to a single-vehicle crash southbound on S.R. 13 at milepost 16 on Wednesday around 1:30 a.m. The UHP believes the vehicle slid off the road and into a ditch as driving conditions were slick with low visibility.
When troopers arrived on scene, they discovered an unoccupied 2018 Honda Civic in a ditch with little damage. However, troopers were unable to locate the driver in the area of the crash site.
Law enforcement personnel contacted the registered owner to have the vehicle towed at their request. According to the news release, a family member confirmed to authorities that Samuel Slade, of Layton, should have been driving the vehicle. The family member was unaware of where Slade could be.
After authorities and family members coordinated possible locations of where Slade could be, a search for the 19-year-old man was unsuccessful. Family members then told authorities that he was likely at the home of an acquaintance.
Later Wednesday morning, family members contacted authorities concerned that he had not come home. Another search of the area was conducted. A short time later, the body of Slade was discovered within a half mile of the crash site.
The UHP is conducting the investigation into the Box Elder car crash. The Box Elder County Sheriff’s Office is conducting the investigation into the death.
- Victim identified in fatal auto-pedestrian crash in Layton
- SLCPD investigating fatal auto and pedestrian crash Tuesday night.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Multiple Utah schools received fake reports of school shooting, officials say
- Additional sex charges filed against Utah businessman; more victims possible
- Three people killed in two-vehicle crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon
- Gwyneth Paltrow’s ski collision trial continues with defense
- Alpine School District exploring potential closure of 5 elementary schools
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah
- Provo Canyon closing intermittently to mitigate rock slides
- Seven Canyons Fountain will be ‘reimagined’ into dry art feature
- U.S. Department of Labor says Sodalicious violated child labor laws