CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Here’s why separate trials for Chad and Lori Daybell is significant
ST. ANTHONY, Idaho– After months of requests a judge has granted a motion for separate trials for Chad Daybell and Lori Vallow Daybell.
Chad and Lori Vallow Daybell both face charges of murder and conspiracy in the deaths of Lori’s two kids, JJ Vallow and Tylee Ryan, as well as the death of Chad’s ex-wife, Tammy Daybell.
Related: Attorneys for Lori Vallow Daybell file motion for her to meet with husband
According to East Idaho News, District Judge Steven Boyce ruled that the cases should be separated because of new DNA evidence that was just presented.
The defense argued that there wouldn’t be enough time to review the evidence before the April 3 trial date.
Why this is significant
Attorney and KSL Legal Analyst Greg Skordas said this will greatly impact how the prosecution prepares for the case.
“Having two trials is really just doubling the workload of the prosecution,” Skordas said. “They have to put on the same or very similar evidence in two different trials … it’s a tough use of resources.”
Skordas also said two separate trials could really give an edge to Chad Daybell’s defense.
“Chad’s attorneys get a free snapshot of the entire state’s case,” Skordas said. “(That includes) the strengths and weaknesses … how witnesses respond under direct- and cross-examination.”
Skordas also said if Lori was convicted for the alleged crimes before Chad’s trial begins, it makes it more likely that Chad’s defense will try to place more blame on her.
And Skordas is skeptical about the new DNA evidence since it’s been nearly two years since charges were first filed against the Daybells.
“With the resources states have now, it should not have taken this long for the government to produce that,” Skordas said. “It’s certainly problematic.”
Since Lori has not waived her right to a speedy trial, she is still set to be tried next month. Chad’s new trial date has not been set.
Our previous coverage:
- Lori Vallow Daybell deemed competent to stand trial
- Unsealed court document details final days of Vallow children
- Transcript of Lori Daybell’s call to Chad Daybell on day of children’s discovery
- POLICE FOOTAGE Lori Vallow’s ex-husband worried about their missing children and his wife’s behavior
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Nashville school shooter had drawn maps, done surveillance
- Fatal car accident in Box Elder
- Lake effect snow causes school delays, remote learning in northern Utah
- Man suing Gwyneth Paltrow for $300,000+ to testify in Utah ski crash trial
- Wrong way driver leads to fatal crash in Weber County
- Monday morning commute could be affected by additional inches of snow
- Sandy Police officer involved in fatal shooting
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- What vital signs will show us that the Great Salt Lake is improving?