Governor Spencer Cox is running for reelection
SALT LAKE CITY — Governor Spencer Cox will seek a 2nd term.
The news was expected in political circles, but the governor has now confirmed it publicly to KSL NewsRadio.
“Yes. Yes. Absolutely running for reelection,” Cox said.
He added that his bid for reelection in 2024 would be the only time he would seek reelection.
“I promised two terms if the people will have me. So that will be it for me.”
#BREAKING: @GovCox @SpencerJCox confirms to me he is running for reelection in 2024.
“Yes…absolutely running for reelection. One time, that’s it,” he said.
“I promised two terms if the people will have me so that will be it for me,” he told me.@kslnewsradio #utpol #utleg
— Lindsay Aerts (@LindsayOnAir) March 16, 2023
It’s a little early still for any official announcements, the filing deadline for intent to gather signatures is the first week of January 2024, it’s in March for convention-only candidates.
Another name that’s been floated in Republican circles is Jason Chaffetz. He has told KSL NewsRadio the Governor’s seat is a possibility for him in 2024. So is a run for US Senate.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- A third person has died after a multi-car crash in Box Elder
- Nashville school shooter had drawn maps, done surveillance
- Lake effect snow causes school delays, remote learning in northern Utah
- Man suing Gwyneth Paltrow for $300,000+ to testify in Utah ski crash trial
- Wrong way driver leads to fatal crash in Weber County
- Monday morning commute could be affected by additional inches of snow
- Sandy Police officer involved in fatal shooting
- Salt Lake County Animal Services looking for a home for Amy Swinehouse
- What vital signs will show us that the Great Salt Lake is improving?