Arrest made after fatal Logan Canyon crash
Mar 29, 2023, 4:54 PM | Updated: Mar 30, 2023, 11:26 am
LOGAN, Utah — Police have arrested a 29-year-old man in connection to a crash that killed three people on Wednesday in Logan Canyon.
In a probable cause statement, police identified the man as Idaho resident Kylan Romrell. Police believe he was impaired at the time of the crash.
Romrell was arrested on Thursday on suspicion of several charges, including driving under the influence and negligently driving a vehicle.
In the statement, police said Romrell smelled of alcohol and was slurring his words, but denied being intoxicated.
Police said they found alcohol containers in Romrell’s Ford Excursion, some opened, some closed and some broken.
The statement said a breath test found that Romrell had a .216 BrAC, which is an estimate of a person’s blood alcohol content. The legal limit in Utah is 0.08.
The two-vehicle crash on US-89 near milepost 448 in Logan Canyon Wednesday afternoon claimed the lives of three people, according to the Utah High Patrol.
Sgt. Cameron Roden, of the UHP, says the crash occurred around 3:20 p.m. He says a Kia Rio appeared to have crossed the northbound lanes and collided with Romrell’s Ford Excursion.
The probable cause statement said, “It is possible the vehicle Kylan was driving was near or on the center line of the roadway and the Kia Rio possibly drifted into the Ford Excursion.”
But, the statement noted that the crash is still being investigated and “fault has not been determined.”
According to Roden, a 21-year-old female, who was driving the Kia, and a 24-year-old male, who was sitting in the front passenger seat passed away from their injuries. Additionally, there were three other people in the back seat of the Kia, including a baby.
Roden says the baby was transported with serious, but non-life-threatening injuries. One of the other occupants was transported by ambulance, while the other was transported by helicopter.
Roden says one of the other occupants in the Kia has since passed away.
Romrell didn’t suffer any serious injuries and was booked into the Cache County Jail.
As a result of the Logan Canyon crash, the highway near milepost 488 was closed for some time.
Mark Jones contributed to this article.
- Motorcyclist dies in crash in Logan Canyon
- A third person has died after a multi-car crash in Box Elder
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Parts of Utah experienced a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival back on
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Landspout forms over Salt Lake County. Here’s how that differs from a tornado
- Two injured when semi-truck crashes through garages of complex, hits propane tank
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful