SALT LAKE CITY
‘Our work isn’t finished’: Salt Lake City Mayor Erin Mendenhall to seek 2nd term
Apr 12, 2023, 10:00 AM
(Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — Erin Mendenhall is seeking a second term.
The Salt Lake City mayor made her official announcement Wednesday morning through a 2-minute video posted online. The video centers on her accomplishments since taking office in 2020, guiding the city through its COVID-19 pandemic response, as well as the damaging earthquakes and windstorm that year.
She also touts the city’s spike in affordable housing funding since she took office in addition to the city’s push to build new parks and move forward with renewable energy — efforts that have expanded over the past three years. It also highlights some of the unachieved goals, such as solving Utah homelessness issues that she says she will continue to work on moving forward.
“I’m running for reelection because our work isn’t finished and we need proven leadership to see it through,” she said. “The incredible future we’re building together isn’t guaranteed and it isn’t going to be easy. I’m determined that the city grows for all of us, to bury the walls that divide us, to lead with compassion, to promote equity and to defend equality. … And I refuse to let anyone take our city backward.”
The mayor joins a field that currently consists of former Salt Lake City Mayor Rocky Anderson and community activist Michael Valentine. Public city records show there are a few other people with active mayoral finance committees; however, those accounts have not reported any recent activity.
The field could also grow as the deadline for candidates to apply is in August, while Sept. 4 is the last day for anyone to qualify as a write-in candidate.
Please see Carter Williams’ entire story at KSL.com.
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- Lake Powell bounces back from record-low water levels
- Car leaves roadway in North Ogden, crashes onto residential property
- Popular trail bridge at Zion National Park closes
- Utah Highway Patrol warns of scam callers pretending to be troopers
- Man killed in West Valley crash was visiting elderly neighbor
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- Why are hikers dying in Buckskin Gulch?
- Lori Daybell’s defense team files for new murder trial