Section of I-80 closed as crews use dish soap to help replace bridge
Apr 16, 2023, 3:00 PM
(Kristin Murphy/Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — A section of I-80 will be closed until Monday morning as crews replace a bridge on 1300 East with the help of Dawn Dish Soap. The closure takes place between 700 East and Foothill Drive.
Utah Department Of Transportation spokesperson John Gleason says crews are demolishing the old bridge from the 1960s and sliding the new one into place. This is a technique that saves quite a bit of time, according to Gleason.
“It takes just about a weekend,” he says. “Usually [when] you have a construction project like this, you see closures in places for months at a time.”
Along with this, Gleason says this technique involves, of all things, Dawn Dish Soap. He says the soap assists in sliding the bridge into place.
“This is probably one of the most low-tech things that we do,” he says. “It’s very effective. It slides the bridge into place. And, we’ve been doing this for the last several years.”
Upwards of 16 gallons of the soap is used as part of the technique, according to Gleason.
UDOT hopes to reopen the freeway Monday at 5 a.m.
Devin Oldroyd contributed to this story.
- Plan for an I-80 closure through the weekend to replace a bridge
- Elk relocation and sections of I-80 closure
- UPDATE: Westbound I-80 lanes reopened after crash involving three semis
- UDOT keeps areas with the highest avalanche risk safe
- UDOT truck veers into Big Cottonwood Canyon canal, no water contamination suspected
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- Gov. Cox says he’s willing to call a special session to change Utah special election law
- Utah will loan first-time homebuyers $20,000 for new homes
- Kouri Richins family satisfied with partial gag order issued in case, says spokesman
- Two people killed in road rage crash near Eagle Mountain are identified
- Four killed, including toddler, after plane crashed in Virginia
- Man nearly drowns at Gunlock Falls
- Years before the attack on Pearl Harbor, Japan sank a US warship in China
- Witnesses report motorcycle passenger firing at silver car on NB I-15
- All-abilities playground gets grand opening in Draper