Two homes evacuated due to mudslide in Morgan County
Apr 17, 2023, 6:37 AM
(Derek Petersen/KSL TV)
MOUNTAIN GREEN, Utah — A mudslide in Morgan County forced four people from their homes over the weekend.
Crews from the Mountain Green Fire Protection District were called out to a home near 5500 Mountain View Drive Sunday afternoon and helped neighbors dig several drainage trenches to try and relieve water buildup and snow near the home.
Live in Mountain Green Highland subdivision where 2 homes have been evacuated bc of a mudslide.
I’ll post a photo from this am once we get some light.
For now, look at these photos:
4 ppl evacuated.
📸: Mountain Green Fire Protection District’s FB page @KSL5TV pic.twitter.com/ZG68ilEJAj
— Karah Brackin (@kbontv) April 17, 2023
Homeowners told first responders the mudslide started Friday night but they thought it had stabilized. Around 9:30 p.m. Sunday, firefighters were called back to the Mountain Green Highland subdivision after the hillside slid another 20 feet into the side and rear of the home. No mud had entered the home as of 6 a.m. Monday.
Neighbors helped the homeowners remove some urgent belongings as crews assessed the hillside. Mountain Green Fire Chief Brian Brendel said crews determined the home was unsafe to remain in, and they advised a next-door home to evacuate as well.
The Morgan County engineer and U.S. Geological Survey will assess the situation Monday morning.
- Sugar House Park reopened to Vehicles
- Where to get sandbags to help mitigate possible flooding in Utah
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Video: Sugar House man notices sinkhole of “unknown depth” in front yard, at a…
- #BACONTOPAYSON: Payson High students pushing to get Kevin Bacon to prom
- Lake Powell bounces back from record-low water levels
- Car leaves roadway in North Ogden, crashes onto residential property
- Man killed in West Valley crash was visiting elderly neighbor
- Popular trail bridge at Zion National Park closes
- Utah Highway Patrol warns of scam callers pretending to be troopers
- Why are hikers dying in Buckskin Gulch?
- Would you take a new rail line from SLC to Las Vegas, Boise or LA?
- Lori Daybell’s defense team files for new murder trial