CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Three juveniles in custody following a shooting at Valley Fair Mall
May 8, 2023, 7:46 PM | Updated: May 11, 2023, 3:22 pm
(Kristin Murphy/Deseret News)
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — West Valley City police say three juveniles are in custody following a shooting Monday at Valley Fair Mall.
West Valley Police officer responded to a call for a gunshot victim on Monday. The officer said ” I observed a male laying on the ground.” They go on to say that another male and female were aiding the man on the ground. The man was putting pressure on the gunshot would on his left hip.
The male who was aiding the gunshot victim, told police that he wished to remain anonymous. He told police that ” He heard a pop, and thought it was a fire cracker.” He went on to say that he saw “four kids run by, no more than 15 years old.”
Police discovered spent shell casings on the ground and bullets that had not yet been used. Additionally, there was blood on the ground where the victim had been laying on the floor. Along with this, they found a hole in the wall, that appeared to be from a gunshot.
Police say the victim, a male who is roughly 30 years old, suffered a non-life-threatening injury and is being treated for his injury. Additionally, police say there are no other suspects involved in this incident.
While police say they are still trying to determine what caused the shooting, they believe the incident to be an isolated event.
A small area north of the center court at the mall is being contained for crime scene processing. However, operating hours for the remainder of the main will continue as usual.
This is a developing story.
- Overnight shooting in West Jordan leaves one suspect dead
- Fatal officer-involved shooting in South Salt Lake was justified, DA’s office says
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Pride-wrapped UTA bus pulled from downtown Pride Parade
- China’s soured milk and its impact on Utah’s dairy farmers
- Two men electrocuted while cutting a tree in West Jordan
- Parts of Utah experiencing a severe thunderstorm, Pride Festival postponed
- Two injured when semi-truck crashes through garages of complex, hits propane tank
- A congressional resignation, hurry sickness and the need for respectful restraint
- Following complaint against Bible in schools, Book of Mormon receives complaint for…
- Wildlife officials trying to trap bear after it approached a tent above Bountiful
- May’s warm temperatures break record in Salt Lake City