54 people recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning in Monroe
Jan 2, 2024, 1:00 PM | Updated: 1:27 pm
MONROE, Utah — Over 50 people in the small town of Monroe are recovering from carbon monoxide poisoning in their church building over the weekend.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Spokesperson Sam Penrod said that 54 people experienced symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning during and after church on Sunday.
The Sevier County Sheriff’s Office said in a press release that it initially received a call Sunday about a 4-year-old with breathing problems at the Monroe East chapel of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. An hour later, a second call came in about a man who was feeling ill at the same meetinghouse.
The sheriff’s office said the fire department was sent to the meetinghouse after another family reported having headaches after coming home from services.
According to Penrod, of the 54 people experiencing symptoms, 49 were eventually treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.
The sheriff’s office said that it didn’t have enough ambulances to take everyone to nearby hospitals on Sunday. They had to call for help from the surrounding area.
The church is now investigating the cause of a malfunction with the heating system.
Penrod said the building will be closed until the problem is fixed.
“The Church is working to support medical and other expenses for those affected. We are concerned for the well-being of everyone impacted and are praying for their recovery,” Penrod said.
Bonneville International Corporation, the company that owns KSL NewsRadio, is a subsidiary of Deseret Management Corporation, which is owned by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
- Here’s what Utah’s snowpack looks like at the start of 2024
- Security breach, death under investigation at Salt Lake airport
- Missing foreign exchange student found safe after ‘cyber kidnapping,’ police say