Canyon View Middle School evacuated due to carbon monoxide
Jan 18, 2024, 5:34 PM | Updated: Jan 19, 2024, 9:05 am
(Courtesy of Iron County Schools)
SALT LAKE CITY — Canyon View Middle School in Cedar City evacuated teachers and students because of possible carbon monoxide poisoning Thursday afternoon.
According to the Iron County School District, students and teachers were evacuated just after 1 p.m. when a strong odor was reported.
The Cedar City Fire Department said they did not find any dangerous levels of carbon monoxide at that time, so they allowed people to re-enter the school. The fire department believes the smell may have been from ongoing construction at the school.
But after students and teachers later reported headaches, dizziness, and nausea, paramedics were called to Canyon View Middle School to help it be evacuated.
When paramedics arrived, they found more than two dozen people had carbon monoxide levels above the normal levels found in the human body. They were told to see a doctor.
“We appreciate the quick reaction of the fire department and first responders,” the school said. “We are also grateful for the fast response of students and teachers as they evacuated the building. We care about the safety of everyone in our schools and will take necessary precautions to ensure this does not happen again.”
This winter there have been carbon monoxide leaks at a Smith’s Grocery store in Sandy, a church in Monroe, and a daycare in Draper.