Stadium of Fire bolsters safety measures after 2024’s spectator injuries
Jul 1, 2025, 2:00 PM
Fireworks burst during Stadium of Fire held at LaVell Edwards Stadium on the campus of Brigham Young University in Provo on Thursday, July 4, 2024. (Isaac Hale/Deseret News)
(Isaac Hale/Deseret News)
SALT LAKE CITY — The Stadium of Fire returns to Provo on Friday, and organizers are ramping up safety measures to prevent a repeat of last year’s fireworks fiasco that injured 26 people.
Emory Cook, communications manager for America’s Freedom Festival at Provo, said they are taking every precaution and making changes to ensure people are safe this year.
“The type of fireworks that were used in the incident last year—howling tails to hammer devices—those are not going to be in the stadium this year,” Cook said.
During last year’s Fourth of July celebration, a malfunctioning firework launched projectiles into the crowd. More than two dozen people were hurt.
Stadium of Fire safety measures
This year, organizers say they’ve brought in a new fireworks vendor and are working closely with emergency services from Provo City and BYU to enhance safety.
“We work really closely and continuously with Provo City Emergency Services and Provo Law Enforcement as well as BYU Police and their facilities management to coordinate safety and emergency response throughout the entire Freedom Festival,” Cook said.
This year, Rascal Flatts is headlining the event, which is touted as the nation’s largest stadium fireworks and drone spectacle.

