SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah says it needs another $1.5 million to be able to host a vice presidential debate this fall.
The legislature has already given the U $2.5 million. Wednesday, the university and Utah Debate Commission asked a legislative committee for additional funding to pay for tighter security.
They said they need things like tenting and an unscalable fence to go around Kingsbury Hall.
They are also doing private fundraising for the final bill of between $5 and 6 million..
Vice president Mike Pence will debate the democratic vice presidential candidate on October 7th.
Organizers say it will give Utah college students an educational opportunity. And it will showcase Utah on national television.
The state should also get an economic boost from some 1500 journalists, campaign staffers and others coming into town.
- UPDATED: Wearing a mask incorrectly while healthy might actually make you sick (pageviews: 27327)
- Police: Man turns himself in after killing Tinder date (pageviews: 6865)
- FACT CHECK: Can hand sanitizer catch fire in your car? (pageviews: 6175)
- FACT CHECK: Can hand sanitizer catch fire in your car? | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 5062)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is opening 14 more temples (pageviews: 4336)
- UPDATED: Wearing a mask incorrectly while healthy might actually make you sick | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 3766)
- Hope In Darkness (pageviews: 3341)
- Police say woman killed after meeting a man on a Tinder date (pageviews: 2473)
- Family releases statement after woman murdered on Tinder date (pageviews: 2074)