SALT LAKE CITY — The University of Utah says it needs another $1.5 million to be able to host a vice presidential debate this fall.
The legislature has already given the U $2.5 million. Wednesday, the university and Utah Debate Commission asked a legislative committee for additional funding to pay for tighter security.
They said they need things like tenting and an unscalable fence to go around Kingsbury Hall.
They are also doing private fundraising for the final bill of between $5 and 6 million..
Vice president Mike Pence will debate the democratic vice presidential candidate on October 7th.
Organizers say it will give Utah college students an educational opportunity. And it will showcase Utah on national television.
The state should also get an economic boost from some 1500 journalists, campaign staffers and others coming into town.
- Site of Mackenzie Lueck murder up for sale... described as what? (pageviews: 3069)
- Church releases updated handbook; section addressing transgender individuals (pageviews: 2736)
- Parents of Susan Powell endure day of graphic court testimony (pageviews: 2468)
- Some Oregon residents petition to join "Greater Idaho" (pageviews: 1671)
- This violinist played her instrument as surgeons removed a brain tumor (pageviews: 1574)
- Contests (pageviews: 1382)
- Celebrities rally to send Quaden Bayles to Disneyland after bullying video goes viral (pageviews: 1281)