Opinion: No fans at NCAA tourney? This is madness!
This is an editorial piece. An editorial, like a news article, is based on fact but also shares opinions. The opinions expressed here are solely those of the author and are not associated with our newsroom.
The NCAA tournament — you know, March Madness, with no fans?!
I can’t picture it. Can you?
I can hear the sneakers so loud on the court, it’s deafening.
NCAA March Madness surprise
I was getting ready for bed tonight (I go to bed early. It’s that 2:30 wakeup call) when my husband called into the bathroom, “The NCAA just announced no fans at March Madness.”
I came out with my toothbrush in my mouth.
He read, “NCAA president Mark Emmert has announced all Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournament games will be played in arenas without fans. . . Only ‘essential staff and limited family’ will be allowed to attend.'”
I went back to the bathroom. Spit and rinse. How can this be? No crazy fans? No student section? No alumni? No band? No cheerleaders? No fans storming the court?
The right call
It’s the right thing, of course, my poor disappointed basketball fan’s heart had to admit. Wow – that took way too long to get to. I can’t imagine how hard that was for the NCAA to decide.
Imagine how painful this will be for the players to not have their cheering fans giving them strength and energy. How will it effect the game to not have noise and crowd reaction? We can only imagine at this point. And who are “essential family?” If I’m dating somebody’s half-brother, does that get me in?
I’m not sure I’m going to be able to fall asleep now. All I can think about are the lonely mascots, performing stunts before empty stands. The empty concession counters with no Dr. Pepper being served. That ear-piercing silence huge arenas surround you with when there is nobody inside them.
Except the players. Those beautiful, talented players. All right, refs. Blow your whistles.
Amanda Dickson is the co-host of Utah’s Morning News and the host of A Woman’s View on KSL NewsRadio.
Today’s Top Stories
- Salt Lake County DA discusses Biden’s pardon of marijuana possession
- Deputies say evidence pointing to likely homicide in case of Dylan Rounds
- Search for wanted fugitive in Tooele is unsuccessful
- Odd smell coming from North Salt Lake goes unidentified
- UPDATE: SLCPD releases new information about Meadows Park shooting
- 13 year old hospitalized after being run over in Bountiful
- Pioneer Park Coalition announces plan to combat crime, homelessness
- FBI seeking information on whereabouts of serial bank robber
- Utah debates: Here’s how 3rd District candidates stand on the issues (Rep. John Curtis…
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces