Utah universities switch to online classes to fight COVID-19
SALT LAKE CITY – Spring break did not stop the University of Utah administrators from announcing all classes will be held online starting next week. In efforts to help fight the spread of the Coronavirus, they believe online classes will help stop the spread.
The U joins Utah State University, BYU, and Weber State University in holding all classes online starting next week due to the coronavirus.
Westminster College in Salt Lake City extended spring break by one week. Classes will then be conducted online, beginning March 23 through Marsh 27. The schools says they will reassess at that point.
Southern Utah University is starting online classes on March 23rd, as are Utah Valley University and Dixie State University.
Snow College will start online classes on April 1st.
Students and staff at the University of Utah were glad classes are being moved online, but some wondered why it wasn’t done sooner.
“I am worried about everybody’s health and my health and my kids’ health. I’m kinda concerned we don’t have enough regulations right now to make sure that it’s not going to spread,” said Yfat Levenstein, a student who also works on campus.
“I’m not worried about it. Everything should be shut down for safety,” said Elle Oldfield, who works at the U’s College of Nursing.
Universities are also canceling non-essential travel, as well as putting the breaks on large gatherings, including sporting events.
BYU has also asked fans not to show up at any athletic events.
The college extended spring break one week. Classes will be conducted online beginning March 23 until March 27. Then we will reassess.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah homes have some of the highest levels of radon gas
- New dress code gives West High School students more leeway
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Paragliding crash in Milcreek leaves one in critical condition
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Draper City suing Geneva Rock, the mining company at Point of the Mountain
- Semi driver dies after driving off side of roadway
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
- Bluffdale crash involving semi-truck kills one