Another person charged in connection with violent SLC protests
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Another person now faces charges in connection with protests that turned violent at the end of May in Salt Lake City.
Roger Nuankoo Dyujay, 21, was charged in 3rd District Court with assault on a police officer, two counts of criminal mischief, and rioting.
According to the Deseret News, Dyujay is accused of jumping on a Salt Lake City police patrol car that had been overturned and burned May 30.
He then “used a shopping cart to further damage the undercarriage” of the police car, used a skateboard to smash the windows of a second police car, jumped on the hood of a third police car, broke windows at the TRAX platform, and threw objects at police officers including an electric scooter,” charging documents allege.
Dyujay is one of fifteen individuals charged so far in connection to the destruction of the police car.
He was also charged on Tuesday in a separate case with aggravated burglary and aggravated robbery. On July 16, Dyujay is accused of entering a South Salt Lake woman’s apartment and robbing her at gunpoint, according to the Deseret News. When he was stopped by police, officers say they found Dyujay was in possession of a .40-caliber handgun which was fully loaded.
Trax station reopened, 400 S. still closed eastbound after protests
Five people charged with felonies in destruction of police car
Utah County Sheriff’s Office: what is (and is not) allowed during protests
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- UHP: Three people dead in two-vehicle crash in Kane County
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Death penalty off the table for Lori Vallow Daybell
- Utah Flooding: How to prevent and mitigate the risk
- USU grad files lawsuit against university for racist caricature
- Utah Rivers Council selling discounted rain barrels as effort toward water conservation
- Home prices are down and so are the size of apartments
- Fire breaks out at Orem home
- 16-year-old dead, 2 other teens injured in fatal crash in Juab County