Fall high school sports can start in Utah
SALT LAKE CITY– The Utah High School Activities Association (UHSAA) reiterated in a meeting Tuesday that fall sports can start. The sports include football, volleyball, cross country, girls soccer and tennis, boys golf and 1A baseball.
There is flexibility for school districts in different parts of the state to figure things out. But a lot rests in the hands of local governments and health departments.
The UHSAA is requiring teams to use face masks, social distance, temperature and symptom checks, and accurate rosters for contact tracing.
Some schools will live stream events and some will require tickets so they have fewer fans in attendance.
Salt Lake City remains in the “orange” phase, so many athletes are still unsure if they will be allowed to play. There’s a possibility they will only do road games. So far, the school district looks like it is planning on remote learning only.
“I believe we are seeing some of the academic transfers … from Salt Lake District. The topic of sports hasn’t come up yet but people are moving districts to seek in-person instruction,” said Tom Sherwood, who is on the UHSAA board of trustees.
And out-of-state students are also transferring here. Read more about that here.
The complete list of guidelines for high school sports is here: uhsaa.org/news/uploads/UHSAA%20Return%20to%20Play%20Document.pdf.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- Letters from surviving roommates read at church memorial service for slain University of…
- Deadline for REAL ID-compliant license, ID card, extended to 2025
- Authorities swat down rumors surrounding unsolved killings of 4 University of Idaho students
- Biden extends student loan repayment freeze as program remains in court
- Lawmakers propose all-day kindergarten bill, UEA fully supports it
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]