LOGAN — Officials with the Logan Police Department have fired Officer Miguel Deras. In a press release on Friday, Logan police said that Deras, a former University of Utah police officer, was released from employment following an internal review of a Department of Public Safety investigation which concluded that he mishandled sensitive evidence in the case of Lauren McCluskey.
The sensitive evidence in question pertained to the Lauren McCluskey extortion and subsequent homicide case. The DPS investigation found that the evidence was mishandled while Deras was employed with the U of U Police Department.
“The conclusion drawn in the DPS report is consistent with the high expectations and standards placed upon our officers by the community and our department,” officials said. “Our continuing efforts to hold sacred the public’s trust and our duty to serve and protect has resulted in today’s decision.”
The DPS review found that Deras showed the intimate photos used to extort murdered student Lauren McCluskey to several other officers.
- Amber Alert issued for missing six-year-old child (pageviews: 4037)
- Amber Alert issued for missing six-year-old child | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 3481)
- Man arrested after two Latter-day Saint missionaries stabbed in Texas | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1468)
- Neffs Fire still burning in Salt Lake County | KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1257)
- Coronavirus Tracker (pageviews: 1160)
- Body of a woman found in South Salt Lake Monday (pageviews: 853)
- (not set) (pageviews: 744)
- Neffs Fire still burning in Salt Lake County (pageviews: 740)