The families of two girls who drowned on Utah Lake start a donation drive for lifejackets
PROVO, Utah – 18-year-old Priscilla Bienkowski and 17-year-old Sophia Hernandez were inner-tubing on Utah Lake in May when a freak storm with high winds hit, they were not wearing lifejackets.
Their families want to prevent another tragedy from happening on the lake and are teaming up with the Utah Lake Commission to hold a donation drive for lifejackets.
The goal is to put up lifejacket loaner stations at several more points along the lakeshore, so anyone who needs one has access to it.
Utah Lake Commission member Sam Braegger told KSL-TV that lifejackets are critical for water safety.
“Nationally, as much as 80 percent of boating-related fatalities could’ve been prevented if someone was wearing a lifejacket,” Braegger said.
Priscilla’s sister Stephanie Cowles, who came up with the donation drive, is not surprised at that statistic.
“That hit home because I truly believe that if the girls were wearing lifejackets, they could’ve been found,” Cowles said.
The lifejacket donation drive for Utah Lake is being held from September 30th to October 7th.
People can drop off new or lightly used lifejackets at a few locations:
- American Fork Marina
- Lindon Marina
- Orem City Offices
- Provo Recreation Center
- Saratoga Springs Marina
- Utah Lake State Park
Or they can donate money or volunteer their time using the Utah Lake Commission’s website: http://utahlakecommission.org/utah-lake-life-jacket-drive/
Today’s Top Stories
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office being sued after former cadet reports abuse
- Snow expected to impact Wednesday evening commute
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- UDOT wants public comments for proposed Orem expansion
- Woman charged in February fatal car crash in West Valley City
- Northbound I-15 in Juab County closed for a time Wednesday night
- Tax increase in Salt Lake County for the library system
- Increased shoplifting puts pressure on retailers and raises prices
- How to deal with and overcome seasonal depression