New concourse opens at Salt Lake City International Airport
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Six weeks after the first flight took off from the new Salt Lake City International Airport, another concourse is adding 21 additional gates.
Early Tuesday morning, Concourse B officially opened to the public. It will house Alaska, American, Frontier, JetBlue, Southwest, United and some Delta gates.
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaKSL) October 27, 2020
Concourse B will have additional concessions, including three new restaurants (Gourmandise: Euro Diner and Bakery, Uinta Brewing Company, Wasatch Brew Pub) and five new shops (@ease, InMotion, Liberty Park Market, Hip & Humble, Maverik, The Salt Lake Tribune).
First flight out
— Derek Petersen (@Derek_Photog) October 27, 2020
Southwest Airlines will be the second-largest carrier at Salt Lake City International Airport with around 17 daily flights to 12 destinations.
Good morning from @slcairport! ✈️Today is the grand opening of Concourse B, which has 20 gates and serves a number of airlines. @SouthwestAir will be the second largest carrier at SLC International with around 17 daily flights to 12 destinations. pic.twitter.com/BCcznmm5Ya
— John Wojcik (@JWojcikKSL) October 27, 2020
“One of the things about this region is it’s such a high leisure and outdoor activity market,” explained Steve Sisneros, managing director of Airport Affairs with Southwest Airlines. “What we’re finding, is that many people are looking for those options to get out and do something.”
With Phase I of the new Salt Lake City Airport complete, demolition is already underway on the old airport to begin building the next phase.
Phase II will include building out Concourse A to the east and construction of a permanent tunnel to transport passengers between concourses A and B. This is expected to be completed by late 2024.
Today’s Top Stories
- Herd of elk pushed away from I-80 and moved back into mountains
- Jordan High student killed in Sandy crosswalk by school bus
- Utah Senate passes transgender-related surgery ban for minors
- Utah safety officials, NAACP, react to death of Tyre Nichols
- Three teens in custody after fight, shooting at Taylorsville High
- School choice bill is “limiting” public schools, UEA president says
- Bystander finds dead body in Salt Lake foothills above Beck Street
- Memphis releases video showing police stop that led to Tyre Nichols’ death
- Utah leading a lawsuit against new ESG rule affecting 401(k) plans
- Pedestrian hit and killed by UTA Frontrunner