West Valley City officer, suspect, hit by car during arrest
WEST VALLEY CITY, Utah — A West Valley City police officer, and a man he was trying to arrest on the side of the road near 4000 S. and Redwood Road, were both injured late Saturday night when they were hit by a car.
West Valley City police report that an officer was responding to a call received by dispatchers wherein someone reported that a man was running through a parking lot screaming “kill me” after breaking an apartment window.
The responding officer reportedly tried to speak with the suspect but was unable to do so. Then, the suspect is reported to have run onto Redwood Road, where police tweeted that he was “trying to get hit by passing vehicles.”
A WVCPD officer & a suspect hit by a vehicle during arrest attempt: Officers responded to an apartment complex at 4000 S Redwood just before midnight 12/5/20 on report of a man running through parking lot screaming “kill me” & who also broke out an apartment window. (Thread) pic.twitter.com/8I7IV7ZCBP
— WVC Police (@WVCPD) December 6, 2020
Despite attempts by other officers to block traffic on Redwood Road, both the original responding officer and the suspect were hit by a civilian car as the officer attempted to make an arrest.
West Valley City police tweeted that the officer was hit on the leg but was not significantly injured. However, the suspect reportedly received a significant head injury and was hospitalized in critical condition.
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Roe V. Wade overturned by Supreme Court
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- Victim in Box Elder County worksite accident is identified
- Biden calls abortion ruling ‘a sad day’ for country
- Provo Police Department asking for help solving a 2020 cold case
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- Congress sends landmark gun violence compromise to Biden
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Sandy man identified as individual killed in Nevada car crash