SALT LAKE CITY — After a vehicle accident with injuries on Sunday shut down Big Cottonwood Canyon, Unified Police announced a policy shift on closing the canyon road in the future.
A pickup truck collided with a Subaru about 1:30 in the afternoon near the S curve about 4 miles up the canyon. Both vehicles plunged 40 feet down to the creek below.
— Dan Rascon (@TVDanRascon) January 25, 2021
Meanwhile, skiers and boarders heading to and from the ski resorts were stuck — for hours.
Four people were injured in the collision in Big Cottonwood Canyon. One person in serious condition was taken to a hospital, according to Unified Police. In order to rescue victims of the crash, the canyon road was closed.
After three hours, downhill traffic was reopened about 4:30, but closed again around 5:30 to allow tow trucks to retrieve the two vehicles in the crash.
Both lanes of traffic reopened at 7:15 p.m. after both vehicles were towed away from the wreck, according to KSL.com.
The Unified Police Department described the situation in a tweet:
#RoadClosureUpdate 🚧 The downhill lane remains open. Uphill lane will open for @RideUTA #SkiBus only to pick up passengers at the resort. The 2nd tow truck has arrived but crews will do their best to keep downhill lane open.🚧 @UDOTTRAFFIC @UPDSL @BrightonResort @SolitudeMTN https://t.co/dNtFY6Xwo0
— UDOT Cottonwood Canyons (@UDOTcottonwoods) January 25, 2021
After receiving feedback on closing the canyon Sunday, Unified Police announced a policy change in a tweet Tuesday.
Moving forward, unless an active break exists in the river the vehicle will be left until a less busy time to remove it.
Here’s a statement regarding the closure of the canyon road on Sunday. pic.twitter.com/KEQ6NB6FGw
— Unified Police Dept (@UPDSL) January 26, 2021
- Utah opens up vaccine eligibility to Utahns 50+ and those with other health conditions – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 8276)
- Utah opens up vaccine eligibility to Utahns 50+ and those with other health conditions (pageviews: 2737)
- Salt Lake County, five others to move to “moderate” transmission phase – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 2537)
- Utah opens up vaccine eligibility to Utahns 50+ and those with other health conditions (pageviews: 2474)
- Utah opens up vaccine eligibility to Utahns 50+, along with other health conditions (pageviews: 2457)
- Salt Lake County, five others to move to "moderate" transmission phase (pageviews: 2296)
- Win a $250 Gas Card! - KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1942)
- Utah opens up vaccine eligibility to Utahns 50+, along with other health conditions – KSLNewsRadio (pageviews: 1908)