TOOELE, Utah — Utah Highway Patrol troopers arrested three people in two vehicles, all wanted in connection with a triple homicide in California.
According to UHP Sgt. Evan Kirby, troopers received a heads-up that the three homicide suspects may have been traveling through Utah on Thursday. This allowed local law enforcement to be prepared for a potentially high-risk traffic stop.
KSL-TV was there when the trio was apprehended.
Homicide suspects led troopers on a chase
UHP had a short chase that ended in the arrests of the three suspects. A female driver in one vehicle stopped, but the other vehicle with the two male suspects inside sped up.
“…But we had coordinated in advance with other troopers and sheriff’s deputies to set up spikes, and some troopers with a special emergency response team,” Kirby said. “So when they accelerated we were able to get it stopped with spikes fairly quickly.
“The fact that they were wanted in questioning in a triple homicide put us on high alert to make sure we were safe,” Kirby said.
The suspects and the plan
Mauricio Eduardo Johnson, 18, was identified as a suspect fleeing with Von Eric Keener, 46. The not-yet identified woman driving the second vehicle who was taken into custody as well.
All three were detained as local law enforcement is waiting to hear what Humboldt County (California) wants done with the suspects.
UHP said their plan panned out, even if the suspects’ didn’t.
“It happens not incredibly frequently, luckily we had troopers that were very well trained in dealing with this and were setting up a plan to take care of it,” Kirby said.
I have an idea for a future in-depth report. How do I tell you about it?
Today’s Top Stories
- Moab Police get digital evidence possibly connected to double murder
- Utah Tech recommended as new name for Dixie State
- Spanx employees given $10,000 and two first-class plane tickets
- Buzz Lightyear’s origin story is teased in a new trailer from Pixar
- Crash on US-89 in Logan Canyon claims one life, seriously injures child
- Investigators confused Brian Laundrie’s mother for him while watching their home,…
- What will a Covid-19 vaccine for younger kids mean? An expert weighs in
- Utah update: 2,000 new cases of COVID-19
- Intermountain Healthcare vaccine requirement
- Overdue Colorado hiker ignores calls from rescuers thinking they were scammers