Utah lawmaker fighting COVID-19 makes surprise legislature appearance
SALT LAKE CITY – Rep. John Hawkins, R-Pleasant Grove, made a surprise, emotional virtual appearance at the Utah legislature via video chat, as he continues to recover from COVID-19.
Sen. Mike McKell, R-Spanish Fork, let other lawmakers know Hawkins was present via video. They welcomed him with a round of applause.
Hawkins had been absent from the legislature due to being very ill and hospitalized from COVID-19. His surprise appearance even allowed him to vote on legislation. He stayed on the video call and was able to submit other votes as the evening went on.
Legislature welcomes colleague with COVID in virtual appearance
“I want to personally thank each and every one of you for your support … for keeping me and my family close to your thoughts and prayers. I miss every one of you and I wish I was there,” said Hawkins.
Hawkins will soon be discharged from the ICU, but he is not able to return home yet. He will need to send some time in a long-term care facility, where he will re-learn how to walk and swallow again.
“This is amazing,” Senate President Stuart Adams, R-Layton, said, as reported by the Deseret News. “We know the effects of COVID, many of us have witnessed it firsthand. How special it is to see this image of him, this was his first vote on the House floor. … It brightens our evening and makes us feel a lot better.”
The Utah Department of Health reports just three positive cases of COVID-19 at the legislature since Jan. 19, 2021; lawmakers went through COVID-19 testing twice a week up there since the session began in January.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah homes have some of the highest levels of radon gas
- New dress code gives West High School students more leeway
- First grade teacher in Magna arrested on felony child sexual abuse charges
- Paragliding crash in Milcreek leaves one in critical condition
- Man in extremely critical condition following motorcycle accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Draper City suing Geneva Rock, the mining company at Point of the Mountain
- Semi driver dies after driving off side of roadway
- Fatal crash near Strawberry Reservoir closes SR-40
- Woman dies in SLC shooting, suspect arrested
- Bluffdale crash involving semi-truck kills one