‘Vaccine shopping’ a problem statewide, local health departments say
CLEARFIELD, Utah — ‘Vaccine shopping’ for doses of the COVID-19 shot is becoming a big problem statewide, according to two local health departments.
Both Summit and Davis County Health Department told KSL NewsRadio they’re seeing people scheduling appointments a few weeks out, finding one sooner, and either not canceling or not showing up to their later appointment.
“I’ve heard that no show rates, in some areas, are higher than 20%,” said Summit County Health Department Spokesman Derek Moss.
Moss said they have a close relationship with the Intermountain Healthcare hospital in Park City who reports this as a big concern for them.
“People are trying to grab it with us, trying to grab it with them, trying to grab it at Walmart, Smiths, and then they don’t go back and cancel.”
Davis County Health Department Spokesman Trevor Warner says sometimes people have 3 or 4 appointments at a time.
“And they’re just getting into whatever place allows them to first.”
Warner said in Davis County, they will take those appointments and put them back online. He advised watching their website for when those pop up.
But Moss wants people to know vaccine shopping slows them down. When asked what he wanted to tell Utahns Moss said, “Please don’t [vaccine shop]!”
“The health departments and our partners are working as fast as we can. Appointment shopping causes needless delays and frustration,” explained Moss.
Today’s Top Stories
- Hazmat spill closes I-15 in Bluffdale
- Provo Police looking for information about two cars in deadly hit-and-run
- WNBA star Brittney Griner released from Russian detention in prisoner swap for convicted arms dealer
- Downtown Ogden expansion project begins finalizing plans
- Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office being sued after former cadet reports abuse
- Sundance Film Festival is seeking volunteers for 2023 event
- Bill protecting same-sex, interracial unions passes House
- Vivint Smart Home acquired for $2.8 billion by NRG Energy
- After celebrity death to colon cancer, Utah doctor weighs in on colonoscopy
- How to deal with and overcome seasonal depression