George Floyd mural in downtown Salt Lake City vandalized again
SALT LAKE CITY– The George Floyd mural in downtown Salt Lake City was vandalized Wednesday morning, and it’s not the first time.
George Floyd mural defaced, again
The memorial mural of Floyd’s face is one of many at 800 South and 300 West to have been defaced in less than a year. The Social Justice murals have been vandalized three times since they were painted in June 2020.
Specifically, the mural depicting Floyd has been sabotaged twice since it was created by an anonymous artist. The most recent defacing of the mural was Wednesday when a curly mustache and devil horns were painted over Floyd’s portrait.
No one in black lives matter has ever vandalized a memorial to a police officer who died in the line of duty. No one an…
“It was vandalized very early this morning, the muralists were notified and they fixed it and got it all cleared within like an hour or so,” said Rae Duckworth Vice president of the Utah chapter of Black Lives Matter.
Duckworth wasn’t surprised by the vandalism. She said, “If you’ve seen it, you’re not really shocked, because you live here.”
Social Justice murals have been vandalized before
Over Mother’s Day weekend, someone put black paint on the Social Justice mural depicting the face of Chad Breinholt.
Chads mural was vandalized today. It was the only one. There are some really terrible people out there to do something…
Additionally, just weeks after the mural was created, a black substance was splattered across Floyd’s face. Some witnesses posted on social media the mural was vandalized with black tar, not paint. Salt Lake City Police Department did not respond to this comment.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- ‘Sketched out’ University of Idaho students return to campus from break with…
- Lehi building placed on false lockdown after report of unconcealed gun
- BYU students win international award for video game
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?