George Floyd mural in downtown Salt Lake City vandalized again
SALT LAKE CITY– The George Floyd mural in downtown Salt Lake City was vandalized Wednesday morning, and it’s not the first time.
George Floyd mural defaced, again
The memorial mural of Floyd’s face is one of many at 800 South and 300 West to have been defaced in less than a year. The Social Justice murals have been vandalized three times since they were painted in June 2020.
Specifically, the mural depicting Floyd has been sabotaged twice since it was created by an anonymous artist. The most recent defacing of the mural was Wednesday when a curly mustache and devil horns were painted over Floyd’s portrait.
No one in black lives matter has ever vandalized a memorial to a police officer who died in the line of duty. No one an…
“It was vandalized very early this morning, the muralists were notified and they fixed it and got it all cleared within like an hour or so,” said Rae Duckworth Vice president of the Utah chapter of Black Lives Matter.
Duckworth wasn’t surprised by the vandalism. She said, “If you’ve seen it, you’re not really shocked, because you live here.”
Social Justice murals have been vandalized before
Over Mother’s Day weekend, someone put black paint on the Social Justice mural depicting the face of Chad Breinholt.
Chads mural was vandalized today. It was the only one. There are some really terrible people out there to do something…
Additionally, just weeks after the mural was created, a black substance was splattered across Floyd’s face. Some witnesses posted on social media the mural was vandalized with black tar, not paint. Salt Lake City Police Department did not respond to this comment.
Today’s Top Stories
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- SLCPD shuts down area near 700 East following fight at yoga studio
- Utah’s GOP Congressmen defeat primary challengers
- Breyer makes it official: He’s leaving the Supreme Court on Thursday at noon
- Sen. Mike Lee fends off 2 opponents to win Utah GOP primary
- Remaining deer, elk permits can be purchased in July
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- Bountiful woman arrested after allegedly stealing $6,000 from patient
- Takeaways from first primaries since Roe v. Wade overturned