OGDEN, Utah — Police say an armed school employee confronted a would-be kidnapper outside an Ogden elementary school and helped escort his potential victims to safety.
It happened Tuesday around 2:30 in the afternoon on the playground outside the school, which police did not name.
Ogden kidnapper stopped by school employee
In a police affidavit, investigators said the attempted kidnapper grabbed an 11-year-old girl and pulled her as though trying to leave with her. That’s when police say the school employee demanded the man leave school grounds.
According to the affidavit, the suspect let go of the child, allowing the employee to escort her and 19 other children in the vicinity to a nearby classroom.
Next, police say the man started punching a window of the school building as though trying to break in. Police say the school employee produced a weapon while dialing 911. They did not identify the employee but said that worker lawfully possesses the gun and holds a concealed carry permit.
Ogden police say they responded quickly and took the would-be kidnapper into custody after a short struggle. Ira Cox-Berry, 41, was arrested and booked him into the Weber County Jail on suspicion of child kidnapping.
Police said they do not yet know of any link connecting Cox-Berry to the girl. Their investigation continues.
- Elizabeth Smart offers advice for survivors and those who love them
- COLD: How the Joyce Yost investigation became a death-penalty case
Today’s Top Stories
- Pioneer Day Parade: Road closures, times, and how to watch
- Church missionaries killed in head-on collision
- Fun facts about the Olympics
- St. George police officer dead after a two-week battle with COVID-19
- How to watch every single event at the Tokyo Olympics
- To keep your green lawn during drought, listen to the pro
- Man arrested after reportedly opening fire and barricading himself in West Jordan home
- Salt Lake City creates tiny home design contest as possible housing shortage solution
- Secondary water shutdown coming to parts of Davis and Weber Counties
- How the city of Mapleton managed to avoid a flooding disaster