Police arrest suspect involved in Magna BBQ shooting
MAGNA, Utah — Police have arrested a man involved in a shooting at a BBQ in Magna that has left one man dead.
On May 28, police responded to calls of gunshots and cars driving out of a Magna neighborhood in a crazy manner.
Upon their arrival, they found the victim, Omar Isael Gomez Salazar, 28, bleeding from the face and unresponsive. Officers confirmed that he was dead upon arrival.
The officers spoke with three witnesses and reviewed video footage of the incident
The footage shows two vehicles stop in front of the house. When Salazar exited his jeep-like vehicle, Juan Alvarez who was attending the BBQ at the Magna residence shot Salazar.
The homeowner said that before the incident, Alvarez was arguing with Salazar over the phone.
Alvarez was found driving southbound on I-15 near Scipio by the use of cell phone pings and would not yield to the officer’s lights and sirens.
Detectives deployed spikes to stop Alvarez from fleeing and he was taken into custody.
The victim, Omar Isael Gomez Salazar, was from colorado and was in town for work.
Friends and family of Salazar have set up a go fund me to raise money for funeral expenses.
Today’s Top Stories
- Bill would allow individuals to become teachers without a bachelor’s degree
- One person killed in wrong-way head-on collision on I-15 near Beck Street
- Two employees found unconscious at Northrop Grumman, died later at hospital
- The bizarre history of Groundhog Day
- Salt Lake City police investigating shooting, one person hurt
- Four elk killed as herd gets too close to I-215 and I-80
- Bill to set target water level for the Great Salt Lake dries up
- Opinion: Is sportsmanship dead in high school basketball?
- Davis County officials charge suspect in Layton Amber Alert
- One man dead, suspect on the run after Glendale shooting