Police arrest suspect involved in Magna BBQ shooting
MAGNA, Utah — Police have arrested a man involved in a shooting at a BBQ in Magna that has left one man dead.
On May 28, police responded to calls of gunshots and cars driving out of a Magna neighborhood in a crazy manner.
Upon their arrival, they found the victim, Omar Isael Gomez Salazar, 28, bleeding from the face and unresponsive. Officers confirmed that he was dead upon arrival.
The officers spoke with three witnesses and reviewed video footage of the incident
The footage shows two vehicles stop in front of the house. When Salazar exited his jeep-like vehicle, Juan Alvarez who was attending the BBQ at the Magna residence shot Salazar.
The homeowner said that before the incident, Alvarez was arguing with Salazar over the phone.
Alvarez was found driving southbound on I-15 near Scipio by the use of cell phone pings and would not yield to the officer’s lights and sirens.
Detectives deployed spikes to stop Alvarez from fleeing and he was taken into custody.
The victim, Omar Isael Gomez Salazar, was from colorado and was in town for work.
Friends and family of Salazar have set up a go fund me to raise money for funeral expenses.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Transit Authority closes Ballpark Station due to debris on tracks
- 21-year-old man sentenced for multiple sex crimes
- At Alpine school board meeting, Natalie Cline claims district allows porn in classrooms
- Automatic emergency braking should only be used as a last resort
- BYU engineering students put ‘world’s smallest Book of Mormon’ on 4 inch disc
- Man in custody after hours of negotiation in Orem home
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Eviction filings on the rise in Utah, compared to this time last year
- Annual Golden Key Awards presented to local businesses
- The Queen Center