Update: Closure order issued for Pack Creek Fire in Moab
MOAB, Utah — The U.S. Department of Agriculture via the U.S. Forest Service, the Manti-La Sal National Forest and the Price Ranger District, has issued a formal trail, road, and area closure for the west side of the Manti-La Sal mountains relative to the Pack Creek Fire.
The order prohibits being on a road, trail, or in the area of the closure beginning Saturday June 12 and extending through July 1, 2021, at 6 a.m. MDT.
The following map indicates the closure area:
In a statement provided to KSL, the U.S. Forest Service said this closure is intended to prevent potential injury to the public while fire suppression operations are occurring in the area. The action is also necessary, the statement continued, “to allow firefighters and incident managers the ability to conduct suppression operations with minimum impact to public safety.”
On Saturday morning, Utah Fire Info said in a Tweet that the Pack Creek Fire in Moab has burned 5,164 acres and was 0% contained.
On Saturday afternoon, the U.S. Forest Service said the Pack Creek Fire was started by an unattended fire on the Manti-La Sal National Forest. It has burned five structures and is threatening more structures that are adjacent to the forest.
It is burning on private lands within the forest boundary as well.
Firefighters are working hard building control lines to make sure it is safe for evacuees to return to their homes.
Utah Fire Info also says that Rocky Mountain Power has restored power to the area.
The #PackCreekFire is 5,164 acres & 0% contained. Firefighters are building control lines & working on to ensure the area is safe for evacuated residents to return to their homes ASAP. @RMP_Utah has restored electricity in Pack Creek. Learn more: https://t.co/pqogiGXOgc pic.twitter.com/E5BdUeI7o4
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) June 12, 2021
Forest officials say they have been developing a closure in the area for the west side of the La Sal Mountains.
Incident managers expect to see containment numbers of the Pack Creek Fire to grow by Saturday evening.
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- Kirstie Alley, ‘Cheers’ and ‘Veronica’s Closet’ star, dead at 71
- Three toys recalled in U.S. for excessive lead paint
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Deadline for REAL ID-compliant license, ID card, extended to 2025
- Snowball Express arrives at Salt Lake City Airport
- Letters from surviving roommates read at church memorial service for slain University of…
- 2 dead after crash into parked box truck
- Authorities swat down rumors surrounding unsolved killings of 4 University of Idaho students