Update: Closure order issued for Pack Creek Fire in Moab
MOAB, Utah — The U.S. Department of Agriculture via the U.S. Forest Service, the Manti-La Sal National Forest and the Price Ranger District, has issued a formal trail, road, and area closure for the west side of the Manti-La Sal mountains relative to the Pack Creek Fire.
The order prohibits being on a road, trail, or in the area of the closure beginning Saturday June 12 and extending through July 1, 2021, at 6 a.m. MDT.
The following map indicates the closure area:
In a statement provided to KSL, the U.S. Forest Service said this closure is intended to prevent potential injury to the public while fire suppression operations are occurring in the area. The action is also necessary, the statement continued, “to allow firefighters and incident managers the ability to conduct suppression operations with minimum impact to public safety.”
On Saturday morning, Utah Fire Info said in a Tweet that the Pack Creek Fire in Moab has burned 5,164 acres and was 0% contained.
On Saturday afternoon, the U.S. Forest Service said the Pack Creek Fire was started by an unattended fire on the Manti-La Sal National Forest. It has burned five structures and is threatening more structures that are adjacent to the forest.
It is burning on private lands within the forest boundary as well.
Firefighters are working hard building control lines to make sure it is safe for evacuees to return to their homes.
Utah Fire Info also says that Rocky Mountain Power has restored power to the area.
The #PackCreekFire is 5,164 acres & 0% contained. Firefighters are building control lines & working on to ensure the area is safe for evacuated residents to return to their homes ASAP. @RMP_Utah has restored electricity in Pack Creek. Learn more: https://t.co/pqogiGXOgc pic.twitter.com/E5BdUeI7o4
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) June 12, 2021
Forest officials say they have been developing a closure in the area for the west side of the La Sal Mountains.
Incident managers expect to see containment numbers of the Pack Creek Fire to grow by Saturday evening.
New wildfire sparks near Wasatch Mountain State Park
Cough, cough: Wildfire season may bring worsening air quality
Human-caused fire near Moab leads to evacuations
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”
- UHP: Three people dead in two-vehicle crash in Kane County
- D2 gets to the bottom of the impending arrest of former President Trump
- Death penalty off the table for Lori Vallow Daybell
- USU grad files lawsuit against university for racist caricature
- Utah Flooding: How to prevent and mitigate the risk
- Brighton hits a milestone with 700 inches of snow
- 16-year-old dead, 2 other teens injured in fatal crash in Juab County
- Home prices are down and so are the size of apartments
- Bicyclist hit, killed by FrontRunner train in Salt Lake City