HELPER, Utah — The Bear fire, burning north of Price and Helper, Utah, had burned 9,800 acres as of Saturday night.
Early Saturday night, Utah Fire Info reported that fire crews had made “good progress” on the western side of the Bear Fire and that firefighters had used a bulldozer to create a fire line down Ford Ridge.
The same report indicated that the southern edge of the Bear fire had been active on Saturday, as it was backed into Sowbelly Gulch which Utah Fire Info said is north and northeast of Spring Canyon Road.
Thanks to better conditions on Saturday, firefighters were able to prepare Spring Canyon Road “should defensive firing become necessary,” according to Utah Fire Info.
Fallen rocks closed U.S. Highway 6 for much of Friday. But KSL television reported that firefighters along Highway 6 were removed from roadway for their own safety. The danger, reported KSL 5 TV reporter Alex Cabrero, was not from fire or falling rock. Instead, it was from speeding and aggressive drivers on the winding canyon road.
Temperatures are expected to heat up, and a Red Flag Warning is issued for Sunday, June 13.
Also on Sunday, June 13, at 7 p.m., Utah Wildfire Info reports there will be a public meeting where residents and other interested parties will receive an operational update on the fire from fire and emergency managers.
#BearFire Public Meeting >>SUNDAY, JUNE 13, 2021, 7 p.m.<< Join fire and emergency managers for an operational update on the fire.
The Rio Theatre – Helper, Utah 210 S. Main Street, Helper
Call 435-781-2746 for more information or with questions!
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) June 12, 2021
The public meeting will also be live-streamed from the Utah Fire Info Facebook page.
Today’s Top Stories
- Update: Bus driver from Alpine School District fired over posters on the bus
- Utah man finishes World Championship half Ironman while dying from ALS
- Utah football player Aaron Lowe confirmed dead in SLC shooting
- Armed robbery at an Ogden 7/11
- Parent speaks about posters found on Alpine School District bus
- Shining a Light on Domestic Violence: Gabby Petito case brings DV to the forefront
- Heart of Utah | Opinion “I haven’t missed out on a thing”
- R&B superstar R. Kelly convicted in sex trafficking trial
- Teacher at center of video controversy no longer with Alpine District
- Police have leads but need public’s help after death of Ute football player Aaron Lowe