BERYL, Utah — The Iron County Sheriff’s Office says a lightning strike ignited a fire in Beryl, Utah, which is now referred to as the Flatt Fire.
They say the fire started at approximately 1:20 p.m. near 200 S Old Modena Rd.
The fire is estimated to be 10,000 acres in size as of Saturday evening and is burning south from the starting point. Officials say it is 0% contained.
Evacuation orders are in place from 2000 South Old Modena Rd. east to 2400 West and south to Enterprise.
One structure has been reported as lost.
An evacuation center has been opened at Enterprise High School located at 565 South 200 East.
Evacuees are being asked to check in with a Red Cross volunteer upon arrival.
This is a developing story.
Today’s Top Stories
- Pioneer Day Parade: Road closures, times, and how to watch
- Church missionaries killed in head-on collision
- Fun facts about the Olympics
- St. George police officer dead after a two-week battle with COVID-19
- How to watch every single event at the Tokyo Olympics
- To keep your green lawn during drought, listen to the pro
- Man arrested after reportedly opening fire and barricading himself in West Jordan home
- Salt Lake City creates tiny home design contest as possible housing shortage solution
- Secondary water shutdown coming to parts of Davis and Weber Counties
- How the city of Mapleton managed to avoid a flooding disaster