President pledges to raise firefighter pay in meeting with western governors
President Joe Biden says he will increase federal wildland firefighter pay to help in a year of drought, heat, and more wildfires across the Western US.
He announced it in a virtual meeting with governors from the western states, including Utah Governor Spencer Cox, presidential cabinet members, FEMA and other organizations.
“Last week, I learned that some of our federal firefighters are making less than $13 an hour. C’mon man, that’s unacceptable to me,” said the president.
He says his infrastructure bill will include a pay raise to at least $15 an hour, with 10% bonuses on the front lines.
“These courageous women and men take an incredible risk running toward the fire, and they deserve to be paid, and paid good wages,” he said. “You know that expression, ‘God made man, and then he made a few firefighters?’ Well it’s true.”
Firefighter pay just part of a larger plan
The president said he is looking for other ways the federal government can help during this this wildfire season. Like through better forest management and fire prevention, including real-time ways to detect lightning strikes sooner, or more public education.
He also mentioned training National Guard troops to help in wildfires.
He allowed Vice President Kamala Harris, Oregon Gov. Kate Brown and California Gov. Gavin Newsom to say a few words during the virtual meeting, but did not offer speaking time to Utah Gov. Spencer Cox and the others.
The full meeting is below. Scroll to the 35:00 mark for the beginning.
Today’s Top Stories
- 13 year old hospitalized after being run over in Bountiful
- Deputies say evidence pointing to likely homicide in case of Dylan Rounds
- Update: 5-year-old still in critical condition after being hit by truck while riding balance bike
- Voters could see an increase in police presence at the polls
- A kidnapped family of 4 has been found dead in California, authorities say
- Water levels indicate that Utah’s water conservation efforts are working
- Utah debates: Here’s how 3rd District candidates stand on the issues (Rep. John Curtis…
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- Church leader speaks of caring for the earth at Why It Matters conference
- Election threats reported in Utah, as other states still see ‘unusual’ levels