Here’s the inside scoop: Sunday is National Ice Cream Day
It seems only fitting that a news organization like ours would bring you the scoop on all things ice cream.
- National Ice Cream Day is Sunday July 18
- In 1984, President Ronald Reagan declared the third Sunday of July as National Ice Cream Day and the month of July as National Ice Cream Month.
- The first parlor serving the treat in America opened in New York City in 1776. American colonists were the first to use the term “ice cream.” The name came from the phrase “iced cream,” which was similar to “iced tea,” according to ThoughtCo.
You scream, I scream, we all scream for ice cream
According to the International Dairy Foods Association:
- The average American consumes approximately 23 pounds of frozen desserts per year.
- A staggering 6.4 billion pounds of ice cream and frozen yogurt were produced in the U.S. in 2019 (most recent).
- Most frozen dessert makers in the US are family-owned businesses.
- Pecan is the most popular nut flavoring.
- Strawberry is the most popular fruit added to the treat.
America’s Top 5 favorite flavors:
- Cookies N’ Cream
- Mint Chocolate Chip
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
Q.: Which state eats the most per capita?
Q. Which city eats the most per capita?
A.: The residents of Long Beach, Calif., enjoy it the most. Dallas came in second while Philadelphia ranked third, according to quizzclub.com.
Q.: Which states eat the most frozen desserts?
A.: Here are your Top 5 states:
- Washington D.C. (not one of the 50 states)
- New Jersey
- New York . . .
and at 41 . . . Utah*
Families are the primary customer group scooping up the dessert item. With 34% of total consumption, US households with children are the No. 1 consumers of the treat — compared to 20% of household consumption without children.
Americans over age 55 eat more ice cream per capita than any other age group, according to a new study on frozen sweets.**
Ice cream sandwiches are America’s favorite frozen dessert novelty, says the IDFA.
*according to Gravy Analytics.
**MRCA Information Services
More like this:
- Chicken wing shortage is latest pandemic-related setback
- Earth is farthest from the sun today, Happy Aphelion Day 2021
- 10 famous Utah ghost towns and where to find them
- Famous Potatoes: Idaho farmer gives away 2 million potatoes for free
- Crispy, spicy and hugely popular: Why chicken sandwiches are taking over America
- An 8-year-old boy paid off the lunch debt for his entire school by selling key chains
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Transit Authority closes Ballpark Station due to debris on tracks
- At Alpine school board meeting, Natalie Cline claims district allows porn in classrooms
- 21-year-old man sentenced for multiple sex crimes
- BYU engineering students put ‘world’s smallest Book of Mormon’ on 4 inch disc
- The Queen Center
- Eviction filings on the rise in Utah, compared to this time last year
- Home improvement tip: Increase the value of your home by weatherproofing doors
- Annual Golden Key Awards presented to local businesses
- Automatic emergency braking should only be used as a last resort
- Stay Home