New and renovated high schools celebrated in Canyons District this week
SALT LAKE CITY — The Canyons School District is celebrating three new or renovated high schools in the days before the beginning of the 2021-2022 school year.
A new look for Canyons’ Brighton and Alta High schools
On Wednesday night, the district cut the ribbon on the new Brighton High School in Cottonwood Heights. Later, students, parents, teachers, and alumni took a tour of the new buildings on the campus that overlooks the Salt Lake Valley.
Voters approved funding for the project in 2017 through a general obligation bond. Ground was broken on the Brighton High School project three years ago.
On Thursday, Alta High School planned to host a ribbon-cutting ceremony for its Sandy structure after renovation. Like Brighton High School, crews completed the construction in phases at Alta High to allow the campus to remain open. On their webpage, Alta High officials note that recent investments including the school’s football stadium were preserved.
Alta High students will find a new student commons area when they return, and improved parking and traffic flow, according to the school’s website.
New features for Hillcrest High
On Friday, students and parents will celebrate the new Hillcrest High School in Midvale. The new features at Hillcrest include a fieldhouse and athletic facilities, a high-tech auditorium, and improved parking. According to the school’s website, the new Hillcrest High also features classroom wings that lockdown.
“This is a major accomplishment many years in the making,” said Canyons District Board of Education President Nancy Tingey.
“With the completion of these projects, every community within Canyons will have access to safe, modern high schools that reflect the high aspirations and achievements that our students set for themselves.”
Today’s Top Stories
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Police have arrested a ‘person of interest’ after a mass shooting at July 4th…
- UPDATE: Shooting on TRAX platform leaves one dead, one injured
- Fire officials say aerial firework caused brush fire in Saratoga Springs
- Deuel Creek Fire starts in Centerville overnight, evacuation order lifted
- ‘Jingle Bells’ was originally written as a Thanksgiving song
- Interactive map shows where fireworks are off-limits in Utah
- Moab police describe fight between woman — now missing — and boyfriend
- Campsite planning app offers new clues in case of missing woman Gabby Petito
- Former BYU professor charged with 5 more counts of forcible sexual abuse