Photo Gallery: Swift-moving fire forces evacuations in Parleys Canyon
PARK CITY, Utah — A quickly moving brush fire in Parleys Canyon forced evacuations for Summit Park, Pinebrook and Timberline, as multiple agencies worked to douse the flames.
Below: Parleys Canyon Fire photo gallery
The photos from the scene showed two thick plumes of smoke merging to become one over the Wasatch range on Saturday. Drivers stranded in traffic emailed and texted photos and shared them with KSL on social media.
Because of power outages in the area, the Utah Department of Transportation reported traffic signal malfunctions at some intersections.
American Red Cross workers set up an evacuation center at Park City High School for any residents who need it. Due to COVID-19 concerns, the agency asked those who need shelter to bring a mask.
Fire was human caused
The fire quickly grew to between 2,500 and 3,000 acres Saturday afternoon. Authorities said the cause appeared to be a faulty catalytic converter.
This story will be updated.
- Parleys Canyon brush fire closes I-80, forces evacuations
- Smoke forecast to move back into northern Utah Saturday and Sunday
- More funding needed for Western wildfires, says Curtis
- Fire crews are managing to keep most wildfires small this year
- Utah Firewatch: Complete coverage on Utah’s wildfire season
Today’s Top Stories
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reacts to Roe v. Wade
- San Juan county crash leaves one dead, one injured
- You’ll love spending the day at Bear Lake | How to spend a day at Bear Lake
- Biden signs bipartisan gun safety bill into law: ‘God willing, it’s going to…
- Elizabeth Smart says she was sexually assaulted on a plane
- Utah leaders react to Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade
- S.B. 174 now in effect in Utah with Supreme Court’s overturn of Roe v. Wade
- Flight instructor, student, die in crash of USU Aviation plane
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- With Roe v. Wade now overturned, could same-sex marriage be next?