DWR names Shirley, a second generation DWR employee, as new director
SALT LAKE CITY — Justin “J” Shirley has been named the new director for the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR).
The announcement was made Thursday by Brian Steed, director for the Utah Department of Natural Resources. Shirley’s role as director will begin Saturday, Aug. 21, 2021.
Shirley is a resident of Stockton. He grew up in Elk Ridge and enjoys being outdoors hunting, fishing and hiking with his wife and kids.
“I am a second-generation DWR employee and care deeply about the continued success of the wildlife resources in Utah,” Shirley said. “With over 18 years as an employee with the DWR, I feel that my experience gained through numerous positions within the law enforcement section have uniquely prepared me for the position of director.
As stated in the DWR mission, ‘Wildlife is valuable to everyone.’ I believe in that and have spent my career promoting and instilling a respect for wildlife and wild places with all those I interact with. I look forward to continuing that mission.”
Strong education background
He graduated from the Police Corps in 2002. Later that year, he began working as a conservation officer for the DWR. He earned both a bachelor’s and master’s degree in wildlife and range resources from Brigham Young University.
“J brings a wealth of knowledge and personal experience to this position, and I feel confident in his ability to oversee the management of Utah’s fish and wildlife,” Steed said.
Shirley replaces Rory Reynolds at the helm of the DWR. Reynolds served as interim director since Jan. 1, 2021, when then-director Mike Fowlks retired.
- Utah Division of Wildlife Resources temporarily bans campfires and target shooting
- Utah increases fishing limits due to drought, low water levels
- Utah’s Division of Wildlife Resources gets new furry officers
- Utah Division of Wildlife Resources: what to do if you encounter a moose
Today’s Top Stories
- Utah Tech student dies after falling from fifth-story balcony
- After a cold November, Utah prepares for another storm
- Avalanche at Snowbird caused by skier, no injuries
- Letters from surviving roommates read at church memorial service for slain University of…
- Lawmakers propose all-day kindergarten bill, UEA fully supports it
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Bob McGrath, original ‘Sesame Street’ cast member, dead at 90
- Elon Musk speaks out on ‘Twitter Files’ release detailing platform’s inner…
- Senate passes Romney-sponsored bill to fund Great Salt Lake study
- Utah Avalanche Awareness Week is underway