Arrest made in Summit County murder investigation
PARK CITY, Utah — The Summit County Sheriff’s Office has announced they have made an arrest after a body was found in the grass near a Highland Estates residence.
Dispatchers in Summit County received a 911 call on Thursday morning when a woman reported the body while walking her dog.
When deputies arrived on the scene they confirmed the man’s identity as 50-year-old John Krieg of Park City. They also encountered a man exiting a nearby residence with a gunshot wound to his hand.
“It was discovered the male had a gunshot wound to his hand. The injured male has been identified as 58-year-old James Ramsdell, also of Park City. After receiving medical care for his wound, Ramsdell was then detained for questioning,” the Sheriff’s Office said.
Investigators with the Summit County Sheriff’s Office said that Krieg lived in a basement apartment and Ramsdell lived in the upper level of the same home.
“Investigators learned that Krieg and his housemate, Ramsdell . . . got into an altercation while drinking alcohol in the early morning hours of October 7, 2021.
“At some point during the altercation, a small handgun was introduced. The two men exited the home and were arguing. Ramsdell returned to the residence, but Krieg did not.
“Law enforcement wasn’t contacted until the passerby saw Krieg’s body lying near the roadway,” the Sheriff’s Office said.
Ramsdell was booked into the Summit County Jail on suspicion of murder, a first-degree felony; as well as discharging a firearm, a 3rd degree felony; carrying a weapon while under the influence a class B misdemeanor; intoxication, a class C misdemeanor and disorderly conduct, a class C misdemeanor.
Today’s Top Stories
- CDC confirms five monkeypox cases in Utah
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Delta pilots picketing in Salt Lake City and across the country
- Party ban becomes permanent for Airbnb
- Supreme Court says Biden can end Trump-era ‘Remain in Mexico’ immigration policy
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash
- Florida judge allows lawsuit filed by Gabby Petito’s parents against Brian…
- Supreme Court limits EPA in curbing power plant emissions
- Supreme Court widens state power over tribes. What does it mean for Utah?