Arrest made in Summit County murder investigation
PARK CITY, Utah — The Summit County Sheriff’s Office has announced they have made an arrest after a body was found in the grass near a Highland Estates residence.
Dispatchers in Summit County received a 911 call on Thursday morning when a woman reported the body while walking her dog.
When deputies arrived on the scene they confirmed the man’s identity as 50-year-old John Krieg of Park City. They also encountered a man exiting a nearby residence with a gunshot wound to his hand.
“It was discovered the male had a gunshot wound to his hand. The injured male has been identified as 58-year-old James Ramsdell, also of Park City. After receiving medical care for his wound, Ramsdell was then detained for questioning,” the Sheriff’s Office said.
Investigators with the Summit County Sheriff’s Office said that Krieg lived in a basement apartment and Ramsdell lived in the upper level of the same home.
“Investigators learned that Krieg and his housemate, Ramsdell . . . got into an altercation while drinking alcohol in the early morning hours of October 7, 2021.
“At some point during the altercation, a small handgun was introduced. The two men exited the home and were arguing. Ramsdell returned to the residence, but Krieg did not.
“Law enforcement wasn’t contacted until the passerby saw Krieg’s body lying near the roadway,” the Sheriff’s Office said.
Ramsdell was booked into the Summit County Jail on suspicion of murder, a first-degree felony; as well as discharging a firearm, a 3rd degree felony; carrying a weapon while under the influence a class B misdemeanor; intoxication, a class C misdemeanor and disorderly conduct, a class C misdemeanor.
Today’s Top Stories
- Staff member at school in southern Utah arrested for alleged sexual abuse
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Former American Fork soccer coach arrested on charges of child sexual abuse
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- Fire in West Valley City home contained to one room in basement
- Suspect in I-15 shooting named, booked into jail
- Air Force unveils newest stealth bomber aircraft
- Bingham High students build intricate gingerbread cathedral