Fatal car crash on North Temple, Trax lines delayed
SALT LAKE CITY — Salt Lake City Police are investigating a fatal auto-pedestrian crash on North Temple near 750 W Monday morning.
A woman is dead after a car hit her on North Temple near 750 West this morning. @slcpd says drivers need to have their headlights on when it’s dark and pedestrians should only use crosswalks. @kslnewsradio pic.twitter.com/892sR3Cv6k
— Nick Wyatt (@NickWyattNews) November 8, 2021
Investigators are not yet sure exactly what happened, but it was dark out. Officers responded to the area around 6:30 a.m. after hearing paramedics were treating a victim of a car crash.
“They arrived, they saw that the fire department was treating a female victim; ultimately died on scene,” says Salt Lake City Police Sgt. Mark Wian.
Police have identified the victim as 47-year-old Gabriella Gomez.
A UTA public information officer has confirmed that a car hit a pedestrian who then landed on the UTA tracks.
SLCPD advised drivers to avoid North Temple Street from 600 W. to 800 W.
With the time change over the weekend, police say drivers need to be extra careful in the early mornings and late at night.
“Just a good reminder here to make sure that your headlights are turned on, be mindful on those commutes,” says Wian.
He also cautions those out walking in the dark to stay in well-lit areas and utilize crosswalks when crossing streets.
UTA has explained the delays due to this accident. The Green Line will be heavily impacted today. A bus bridge will be implemented in the meantime.
#TRAX Alert 6:50 AM: Expect significant delays on the Green Line until a bus bridge is in place. Trains will turn southbound at North Temple/Gualalupe Station and turn northbound at Jackson/ Euclid Station due to a medical incident.
— Utah Transit Authority – UTA (@RideUTA) November 8, 2021
At 7:47 a.m., UTA reported no trains will run between the Jackson/Euclid and North Temple Stations. A bus bridge will be in place between those stations. UTA also said to expect overall delays in the system today.
This story is developing and will be updated.
- Two dead in Farmington car accident on I-15
- Fatal accident in Little Cottonwood Canyon
- Fatal accident on I-215 causes freeway closures
- One person killed in three-vehicle accident in Kaysville
Today’s Top Stories
- 21-year-old woman killed in Provo hit-and-run
- Confrontation with bicyclist sends UTA bus driver to hospital
- Sugar House locals worry 2100 South poses threat to safety and business
- Air Force unveils newest stealth bomber aircraft
- Former Utah Sen. Jake Garn to be honored with art tribute on Saturday
- The best tools for Deaf and hard-of-hearing workplace success
- Is forcing the homeless into treatment the answer?
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]
- Morning storms impact school schedules
- US approves $380 million missile sale to Finland