Semi-truck caught fire, cargo cooks to medium rare
SALT LAKE CITY — A semi-truck transporting meat caught on fire near the State Street off-ramp from I-80 early Thursday, and it could impact traffic throughout the day.
Commuters using I-80 this morning experienced huge delays in the Sugarhouse area. Emergency crews responded to the scene of the vehicle fire around 6:00 a.m. and blocked off traffic.
Flames & smoke! Vehice fire WB I-80 near the State Street off-ramp. Emergency crews blocking a right lane with delays starting to back to 700 East. @kslnewsradio pic.twitter.com/WK9PYp96wL
— Rikki Meece (@KSLRikki) November 11, 2021
KSL NewsRadio’s Rikki Meece and Heather Kelly covered the closure since early in the morning on Thursday.
Semi on fire on WB I-80 near the State Street exit. The right lane and shoulder blocked. pic.twitter.com/SaH0QgsU5b
— Heather Kelly (@KSLHeatherKelly) November 11, 2021
Massive grease clean up after meat truck fire
Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Cameron Roden said a semi-truck experienced a mechanical problem causing the trailer to burst into flames.
Utah Department of Transportation Spokesman John Gleason says the trailer contained meat. Gleason explained the cargo of bacon was fully engulfed. Although the fire was mostly contained to the truck, the fire resulted in bacon grease spillage on the road.
The grease covered several lanes on the State Street exit ramp. Crews spent over 10 hours cleaning up the slippery substance.
The exit ramp from westbound I-80 to State Street near Sugarhouse was closed for the entire morning commute and into the afternoon.
No injury to the driver
Gleason reported, “The good news is, there wasn’t much damage to the road itself.”
The semi-truck driver was able to escape without injury. However, courtesy of the fire, he won’t be bringing home the bacon.
- Is your vehicle ready for winter? UDOT has tips to assure the answer is yes
- Children can’t estimate traffic gaps when trying to cross the street
- Several pigs dead after falling out of trailer on freeway
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Murray doctor charged with sexual exploitation of a minor
- The Salt Lake Temple renovation has a new completion date
- KSL EXCLUSIVE: “It’s been a punch to the gut,” Woods Cross mom of boy…
- Woods Cross man charged for allegedly secretly recording others in bathroom
- Mother tells of her escape from addiction and being homeless
- Median price of a home declines for first time in a decade, what it means for Utah
- Should the Bible be banned from school libraries?
- Man arrested for suspicion of arson in Orem house fire
- False threat near the TRAX Daybreak Parkway Station
- Gwyneth Paltrow ski crash trial begins in Park City, lawyer calls it “B.S.”