Semi-truck caught fire, cargo cooks to medium rare
SALT LAKE CITY — A semi-truck transporting meat caught on fire near the State Street off-ramp from I-80 early Thursday, and it could impact traffic throughout the day.
Commuters using I-80 this morning experienced huge delays in the Sugarhouse area. Emergency crews responded to the scene of the vehicle fire around 6:00 a.m. and blocked off traffic.
— Rikki Meece (@KSLRikki) November 11, 2021
KSL NewsRadio’s Rikki Meece and Heather Kelly covered the closure since early in the morning on Thursday.
Semi on fire on WB I-80 near the State Street exit. The right lane and shoulder blocked. pic.twitter.com/SaH0QgsU5b
— Heather Kelly (@KSLHeatherKelly) November 11, 2021
Massive grease clean up after meat truck fire
Utah Highway Patrol Sgt. Cameron Roden said a semi-truck experienced a mechanical problem causing the trailer to burst into flames.
Utah Department of Transportation Spokesman John Gleason says the trailer contained meat. Gleason explained the cargo of bacon was fully engulfed. Although the fire was mostly contained to the truck, the fire resulted in bacon grease spillage on the road.
The grease covered several lanes on the State Street exit ramp. Crews spent over 10 hours cleaning up the slippery substance.
The exit ramp from westbound I-80 to State Street near Sugarhouse was closed for the entire morning commute and into the afternoon.
No injury to the driver
Gleason reported, “The good news is, there wasn’t much damage to the road itself.”
The semi-truck driver was able to escape without injury. However, courtesy of the fire, he won’t be bringing home the bacon.
Today’s Top Stories
- Father of girl who died in Kaysville parade is thankful for those who helped
- GoFundMe started to remember 8-year-old girl who died in Kaysville parade
- Could a gas strike work? One expert doubts it
- Family of Zane James speaks out after settlement reached with Cottonwood Heights
- The Great Salt Lake water level reaches a historic low as Utah continues to face extreme drought
- 8-year-old girl in critical condition after getting injured at Kaysville parade
- Anonymous donor offers $50K to help find missing South Salt Lake man
- Dog dies after being left in hot car for more than an hour
- Spanish Fork house catches fire after fireworks not properly extinguished
- Highland Park parade shooting suspect charged with 7 counts of murder, state’s attorney says