A record number of Americans quit their jobs in September
(CNN) — A record 4.4 million Americans quit their jobs in September as the sheer volume of available jobs is empowering workers to have their pick.
The nation had 10.4 million open jobs that month as the worker shortage crisis continues, data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed Friday. It was a modest decrease from the 10.6 million open jobs in August.
Jobs particularly increased in the health care and sector and in state and local government.
Employers hired 6.5 million people, while separations, which include voluntary quits, stood at 6.2 million.
This is a developing story. It will be updated
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- One person dead in three-vehicle crash in southern Utah
- Update: Vehicle crashes into Famous Footwear, leaving four injured
- State of Utah files lawsuit against pharmaceutical retailers
- Herriman mother saved by off-duty police officer
- 5 Ways You’re Watering Your Lawn Wrong
- Husband of Bluffdale mayor faces charges threatening city councilman
- Different abortion law now in effect in Utah
- 8-year-old boy struck by car in Riverton, suffers head injury
- WB I-80 shut down after a crash between two semis and a Utah Highway Patrol car
- Two people injured in Brigham City two-vehicle crash