A record number of Americans quit their jobs in September
(CNN) — A record 4.4 million Americans quit their jobs in September as the sheer volume of available jobs is empowering workers to have their pick.
The nation had 10.4 million open jobs that month as the worker shortage crisis continues, data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed Friday. It was a modest decrease from the 10.6 million open jobs in August.
Jobs particularly increased in the health care and sector and in state and local government.
Employers hired 6.5 million people, while separations, which include voluntary quits, stood at 6.2 million.
This is a developing story. It will be updated
™ & © 2021 Cable News Network, Inc., a WarnerMedia Company. All rights reserved.
Today’s Top Stories
- Car drives into parade, hits horse and rider
- UDOT warns winter storm bringing roadway impacts
- UPDATE: Southbound I-15 lanes in Washington County reopen following closure
- Crash on I-15 in Draper leaves one dead
- Man crashes into Ogden Taco Bell drive-thru window
- American Red Cross of Utah seeks volunteers in central Utah
- One person flees I-15 crash in Murray
- ‘Fame’ and ‘Flashdance’ singer-actor Irene Cara dies at 63
- Trash can on fire at home in the Cottonwoods, safely extinguished
- 12 Mason Jar Gift Ideas for the 12 Days of Christmas [with recipes!]