Salt Lake City Mission needs hundreds of turkeys for those in need
SALT LAKE CITY — This year, the Turkey Drive organized by Salt Lake City Mission is more important than ever.
“Today we only have 23 turkeys in our freezer,” said Pastor Joe Vasquez, co-director of the Salt Lake City Mission. “We urgently need donations of frozen turkeys, weighing 10-12 pounds to provide for families living in poverty.”
He said they want to collect at least 500 turkeys before Thanksgiving.
Pastor Joe said that they’ve been seeing more and more people coming in for help. “Many were doing well before COVID-19 disrupted all of our lives, and now because of growing economic struggles, preparing for Thanksgiving has been harder than ever.”
The Mission will start to distribute food boxes, which include the turkeys plus all the fixings for a Thanksgiving dinner, on Nov. 19th and into the following week.
“There is a bigger need in the community for people who just really need that extra bit of hope knowing that people really care.”
Drop-off locations for frozen turkeys and other holiday fixings can be delivered to Salt Lake City Mission’s main office at 1151 South Redwood Road Suite #106 in Salt Lake City.
For more information on Salt Lake City Mission’s holiday events and activities, visit their website here.
Cold weather prompts donation requests for homeless population
Emergency winter homeless shelter announced for Salt Lake City
Salt Lake City officials say improvements to North Temple homeless camps may be slow, but they are happening
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Prison sentence reduced for ‘Real Housewives of SLC’ star Jen Shah
- Five-planet alignment may be visible in Tuesday night’s sky
- Body of snowmobiler found following avalanche in Pole Canyon
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts
- Hear it Firsthand: 6 Students Share Their Executive MBA Experience at BYU’s Marriott School…
- Utah psychiatrist peers into dark mind of school shooter
- Body found by passersby on southbound I-15 at 600 North
- Van bridge in place after S-Line loses power
- Search and rescue team recovers body of snowmobiler killed in avalanche
- Gunfire with SWAT and seizure of narcotics leads to trafficker imprisonment