CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
DWR seeks information on killing of buck deer and removal of its antlers
SPRINGVILLE, Utah — The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources (DWR) is seeking the public’s assistance in obtaining information in regard to a buck deer that was killed in Sanpete County, with its antlers removed.
Officers with the DWR received a tip earlier this month after an individual discovered the animal near the Clarion Road between the Barex Dairy Family Farm and the Redmond Salt Mine. It is roughly three miles north of the border between Sanpete and Sevier counties.
Antlers removed from the buck deer
According to DWR officers, the antlers had been removed from the animal, while the rest of the meat was left to waste.
During the investigation, DWR officers had discovered evidence that shows the animal was likely killed in a different location and moved by vehicle to the area where it was later discovered. Additionally, the DWR officials determined during the investigation that the animal was killed either the night of Jan. 3 or the morning of Jan. 4.
Also, during the investigation, a blanket was found. DWR officials believe this blanket may have been used to move the deer from the location that it was killed to the location where it was found.
Anyone with information on this specific case is asked to call 801-850-8272. Rewards for information are available, while the request for confidentiality are respected.
In 2021, DWR officers confirmed the illegal killing of more than 1,150 animals with an estimated worth of $610,00.
How to report wildlife-related crimes
- By calling the UTiP Hotline at 800-662-3337
- The UTDWR Law Enforcement app
- By texting 847411
- Online through the DWR website
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Drug Enforcement Administration warns of new substance appearing in Utah
- Tabernacle Choir at Temple Square will be joined by international singers this weekend
- Lawyers of man who lost lawsuit against Gwyneth Paltrow may try for new trial
- Meteorologist says only a couple more weeks of snow and rain
- Utah company with ties to polygamous group cited for violating child labor laws
- Alta wins the race to 800 inches, more snow expected Friday afternoon
- The search for the caller behind Utah’s 13 school hoaxes
- Church leaders travel the world ministering to all people
- General Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- As the snow melts, cases of canine giardia can increase