Pursuit through Tooele and Salt Lake counties lands two people in jail
SALT LAKE CITY — A high-speed chase between Tooele and Salt Lake counties landed two people in jail Wednesday night, the Utah Highway Patrol say.
According to the UHP, authorities in Tooele County received a call of a reckless driver at about 10:15 p.m.
The car was eventually spotted by the Unified Police, who initiated a pursuit but ended up terminating it. An hour later, a UHP trooper found the car entering westbound I-80 from southbound I-15. The UHP say the trooper followed the car as it attempted to get more units in place and a helicopter into the air.
At roughly 5000 West, the car pulled over and the trooper attempted to a felony stop. However, the driver opened the door, turned and looked back then closed the door and fled, according to the UHP.
Another pursuit of the vehicle near 7200 West was called off. The vehicle continued to drive on SR-201 and back onto westbound I-80. Several troopers in the area attempted to spike the tires of the vehicle but were unsuccessful.
According to the UHP, the vehicle was later found pulling into the Comfort Inn off of Highway 36 near Saddleback Blvd. The driver exited the vehicle and ran inside the hotel. A female passenger was taken into custody as she attempted to walk away from car, according to the UHP.
Authorities then set up containment on the hotel. The driver was located walking around the second floor of the hotel. When he was confronted, he attempted to flee down the stairwell, where he was taken into custody after a brief struggled, according to the UHP.
In addition to outstanding warrants, the two individuals were booked into jail under investigation for several theft, drug, and weapons charges.
- Man in custody following high-speed chase through Utah County
- High-speed chase through Parley’s Canyon ends in Salt Lake County
Today’s Top Stories
- Man in custody after hours of negotiation in Orem home
- Chance of thunderstorms Thursday could affect BYU game
- Hurricane Ian weakens to Category 3 after making landfall in Florida, but officials warn the…
- Researchers using dirty diapers to develop new autism test
- American Leadership Academy responds to homecoming incident
- Former KSL NewsRadio talk show host in the path of Hurricane Ian
- How facial plastic surgery and skincare are joining forces
- At Alpine school board meeting, Natalie Cline claims district allows porn in classrooms
- Controversial homecoming dress code ends in protest
- Federal, state authorities warn of return of missed jury duty, outstanding warrant scam