Gina D. Butters named as new superintendent for Weber School District
WEBER COUNTY, Utah — Gina B. Butters has been selected as the new Weber School District superintendent, as announced by the Weber School District Board of Education on Wednesday night.
Butters is replacing Dr. Jeff Stephens, who is retiring at the conclusion of the school year. Stephens had served in the role for the past 11 years.
Butters will be the first woman to serve as superintendent in the Weber School District, which was created in 1905. Overall, Butters will be the 15th superintendent of the district.
Butters is a graduate of Bonneville High School. She went on to attend the University of Utah where she earned a Bachelor of Science in exercise and sports science with a minor in psychology. She also earned a Master of Education in educational studies.
During her career in the Weber School District, Butters has served as an assistant principal at Roy and Bonneville high schools. Later, she became principal at North Ogden Junior High School and Roy High School.
The selection of Butters as the new superintendent comes following a national search by the Weber School District Board of Education. On Feb. 17, the Board of Education conducted interviews with four candidates, both from within the district and out of state.
The selection of Butters was formerly announced at the Board of Education’s board meeting Wednesday night.
The Weber School District is made up of 45 schools, which educates more than 33,000 students in Weber County. It is also the eighth largest school district in the state.
- Weber High School surpasses COVID-19 case threshold, moves online
- Weber High teacher named 2022 Utah Teacher of the Year
Today’s Top Stories
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Brigham City Police seeking help in locating missing teenager
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- New photo of Gabby Petito raises questions
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Ogden Police looking for driver that hit a crossing guard
- House Speaker Wilson expresses disappointment in Biden’s State of the Union Address