Weber High teacher named 2022 Utah Teacher of the Year
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Mark Berrett Daniels, a theatre teacher at Weber High School in Pleasant View, has been named the 2022 Utah Teacher of the Year.
The announcement was made Thursday by Utah State Superintendent of Public Instruction Sydnee Dickson.
Daniels, a North Ogden resident, was also awarded a check worth $10,000. He will compete in a national competition along with other Teacher of the Year winners. Additionally, he will participate in a number of state and national leadership opportunities.
Katherine Bradbury and Albert Ferrarons Font were selected as runners up. Bradbury is a math teacher at Bountiful Junior High School. Ferrarons Font is Spanish dual immersion teacher for West Lake STEM Jr. High School in the Granite School District. They both received $4,000.
“While most teachers complain of large class sizes, Mark welcomes the opportunity to teach 50 plus students in all of his classes. It doesn’t matter who you are, Mark wants you in his class,” said Weber High Principal Chris Earnest in a statement. “He gets to know each student individually and structures his teaching to meet the different learning styles of his students. Mark teaches skills such as communication, relationship building, grit, endurance, resiliency, humility, grace and teamwork that help students become successful now and throughout life.”
John Arthur, a fifth-grade teacher at Salt Lake City’s Meadowlark Elementary School, was last year’s Utah Teacher of the Year.
- First Lady Jill Biden praises teachers in Utah during her visit
- Many Utah school districts still waiting on COVID guidance for the fall
- Granite teacher union highlights substitute teacher shortage
Today’s Top Stories
- UPDATE: Family of missing Stanton Porter releases statement regarding his death
- UPDATE: Meteor potentially causes boom that rattles Salt Lake Valley
- How to have the best of both worlds for your house | Home security and curb appeal
- Three people charged after staged kidnapping for YouTube video, police say
- SLCPD activate OICI following the death of a suspect in police custody
- Police activate endangered missing advisory for 18-month-old boy
- Man fatally shoots self after crashing car into barricade near US Capitol Building
- Some Capitol rioters try to profit from their Jan. 6 crimes
- Teen missing from Layton found safe in Salt Lake City
- Fire season has arrived in Utah, fueled by a wet winter