Granite teacher union highlights substitute teacher shortage
SALT LAKE CITY — A teacher’s union for Granite School District says its schools are woefully understaffed with substitute teachers.
Not enough substitute teachers
Granite District social studies teacher, Deborah Gatrell, posted to Twitter that five of her colleagues had called out sick and there were no subs to fill in for them Tuesday.
— Deborah Gatrell NBCT (@DeborahGatrell1) September 2, 2021
Gatrell also previously ran for Salt Lake County Council, serves as chair of the Veterans Caucus with the Utah Democratic Party, and is a National Guard soldier.
Teacher’s union echoes sub shortage concern
Michele Jones, president of the Granite Education Association, said the substitute teacher shortage is a problem for many districts across Utah.
“A lot of that has to do with the amount of pay the district can offer the substitutes, and the increased need due to COVID because we have more people out than normal,” Jones explained.
However, Jones said Granite School District is doing everything it can to recruit more subs. It is also getting creative to fill vacancies.
“For example, district people are substituting in classrooms,” said Jones. “In my high school, [I] had several district people the other day substituting for teachers that were out.”
The pandemic is also putting a strain on the available pool of subs. Jones said the best fill-ins are retired teachers, but many of them are reluctant.
Jones said, “There’s a lot of those people that aren’t willing to put their name in the hat to do those kinds of jobs anymore because they feel they’re higher at risk.”
As for current teachers, Jones said there is a difference of opinion about the safety of this school year.
- Concern over substitute teacher shortages in Ogden
- SLC School District reports substitute-teacher shortage; parents react
Today’s Top Stories
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Brigham City Police locate missing teenager
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- New photo of Gabby Petito raises questions
- GoFundMe created for passing of two employees at Northrop Grumman
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Ogden Police looking for driver that hit a crossing guard
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers