Utah joins mask mandate lawsuit against federal government
Mar 30, 2022, 8:40 AM | Updated: Aug 2, 2022, 12:40 pm
(Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)
SALT LAKE CITY — Utah has joined 20 other states in a lawsuit against the federal government’s mask mandate.
The lawsuit claims the mask mandate on planes and other public transportation is illegal and goes beyond the authority of the Center for Disease Prevention and Control in states that have banned mask mandates.
The effort is being led by Florida’s Governor Ron DeSantis.
“It’s turned the airlines into having to police this,” DeSantis said. “It’s created a lot of unruly passenger situations because it’s so frustrating for people.”
Previous challenges to the mask mandate have gone nowhere in the courts.
The complaint seeks to end the mask mandate and establish a permanent injunction against its enforcement, according to a press release from Governor Desantis’ office.
The CDC recently extended the rule until April 18. But it’s unclear whether it’ll be extended or adjusted again.
- CDC to significantly ease pandemic mask guidelines Friday
- CDC: Many healthy Americans can take a break from masks
- Mask-Free: CDC says fully-vaccinated people can meet without masks
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart
- SLC Ballpark ‘Next Design’ competition winners announced
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- Here’s how Utah’s 4 congressmen voted on the debt ceiling bill
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Woman barricades herself inside West Jordan home, then arrested
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows