Gardening expert discusses how to perfect Utah’s most Googled vegetable
SALT LAKE CITY — A new study from allaboutgardening.com has found that potatoes are the most popular vegetable among Utahns. The study says Utahns have Googled how to grow potatoes more than any other vegetable.
The most Googled vegetable
Utah isn’t alone, potatoes were popular in Google searches in 13 other states including Tennessee, Montana and Illinois.
Gardening expert Logan Hailey explains the best way to grow a potato.
“Pre-sprouting your seed potatoes can jumpstart your harvest by up to two weeks and reduces the risk of rot and waste,” Hailey said in a press release. “To do this, you should lay your potatoes out in an even single layer on a tray or in egg cartons, place them in a light area, such as a windowsill or porch, with the optimum temperature ranging from 60 to 70° F and let them sprout until they’re around an inch long before planting.”
The study found that cucumbers were also popular in Google searches.
Residents in seven states including New York, Nebraska, Texas and Iowa Googled how to grow cucumbers more than any other vegetable, according to the study.
“If you want to save space in your garden and yield higher quality cucumbers that are less prone to disease, trellis cucumbers rather than letting them vine along the soil,” Hailey said. “Use a cattle panel mounted on T-posts or rebar to create a cheap, simple trellis. Then, plant cucumbers about 12 inches apart and allow them to vine up the panel. Prune off the suckers to promote more fruit growth and keep plenty of airflow between foliage.”
According to the study, six states Googled how to grow beetroots, including Colorado, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Alabama.
Today’s Top Stories
- Missing girl from Arizona found in West Valley basement
- Elk herd again on the move near Foothill Drive and Parley’s Canyon
- UHP arrests man suspected of trafficking New England teen
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- A Utah lawmaker and her sister at odds: Should rape victims need to contact police before…
- Utah County attorney says he’s been wrongly accused of cannibalism
- Intermountain’s 40-year study provides insight into weight-loss surgery
- Utah County men facing charges for defrauding the United States
- Over 20 arrested in Utah County human trafficking sting, 3 victims rescued
- Utah mom shares grocery budgeting tips