Salt Lake City Police seeking information on package that prompted bomb squad
SALT LAKE CITY — The Salt Lake City Police Department said it was looking for information after a mysterious package prompted a bomb squad investigation Thursday night.
A 911 call about a suspicious package at 1345 South Foothill Drive alerted the SLCPD to the situation. The package was placed at the Hampton Inn and Suites.
We are investigating a suspicious package in the 1300-block of East Foothill Drive. Please avoid the area as the Hazardous Devices Unit responds. Media staging is on 1300 East, just east of Laird Way. Media should not be on Foothill Drive or 2300 East. #slc #slcpd #SaltLakeCity pic.twitter.com/EpoLCWJPce
— Salt Lake City Police (@slcpd) May 27, 2022
Police said surveillance video showed a man putting down a backpack in a suspicious manner before immediately leaving.
Officers evacuated parts of the hotel and shut down Foothill Drive between 1300 South to 2300 East as they secured the scene.
The SLCPD said the on-scene commander requested the assistance of the Hazardous Devices Unit, known as HDU, and members of the SLCPD Airport Division’s K-9 Squad also responded to the situation.
The HDU used two robots in order to safely investigate the backpack.
The SLCPD said, “After conducting their field investigation, the HDU did not find an explosive threat. The material inside the backpack is described as personal items.”
Because the investigation is ongoing, the police department will not specify what items were found in the backpack.
The SLCPD said it lifted evacuation orders and road closures by 1:07 a.m.
Police asked that anyone who has information on the person who dropped off the backpack call 801-799-3000 and reference case number 22-99097.
Today’s Top Stories
- Man’s arm partially amputated by farm equipment Tuesday afternoon
- Boy dies after falling from slide at Rose Springs Elementary School
- Five Common Causes of Cervical Cancer – and What You Can Do to Lower Your Risk
- Brigham City Police locate missing teenager
- Looking for a New Winter Activity? Try Skijoring in Bear Lake
- Utah Corrections offers more details on recent assaults against officers
- Utah snowpack at a 10-year-high
- Utah delegation’s reaction to Biden’s State of the Union Address
- A 21-year-old man formally charged in fatal Ogden shooting
- West Valley police searching for suspect in apartment stabbing