CRIME, POLICE + COURTS
Suspect in officer-involved shooting in Orem released from hospital, booked into jail
May 31, 2022, 9:00 PM | Updated: Dec 29, 2022, 11:32 am
(Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News)
OREM, Utah — The 35-year-old suspect who was involved in an officer-involved shooting Saturday morning in Orem was released from the hospital Tuesday and booked into the Utah County Jail, according to the Orem Police Department.
Police say Gene Patrick Contreras was involved in a vehicle accident in the area of 800 South Orem Blvd. at 7:30 a.m. According to police, the suspect fled the scene toward the area of 1000 South 100 East.
Orem officer-involved shooting
As he was fleeing the scene, police say, he allegedly fired shots at officers. Officers exchanged several shots with the suspect, according to police.
From there, the suspect entered a residence that he does not live at and barricaded himself inside. According to police, the occupants of the home were able to safely exit the home, as police held negotiations with the suspect.
Eventually, the suspect informed police that he was injured. Police say the suspect peacefully surrendered and was taken into custody.
The investigation into the incident is ongoing. Police say they are still looking to for information on a female wearing a pink dress who walked away from the accident scene.
According to the probable cause statement, Contreras was booked into the Utah County Jail on suspicion of four counts of attempted aggravated homicide and one count of attempted homicide. He also was booked on several other charges as well.
The probable cause statement says the four counts of aggravated homicide are for the shots he allegedly fired at officers. The one count of attempted homicide is for allegedly firing at a witness who tried to stop him from leaving the scene of the accident. The witness was not hurt.
- Man allegedly made threats to Orem police officer and others, lands in jail
- Former Saratoga Springs police officer in custody after allegedly making threats
We want to hear from you.
Have a story idea or tip? Send it to the KSL NewsRadio team here.
Today’s Top Stories
- Candidates starting to line up as potential replacement for Rep. Stewart
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints announces site of North Carolina Temple
- SLC Ballpark ‘Next Design’ competition winners announced
- Here’s how Utah’s 4 congressmen voted on the debt ceiling bill
- Becky Edwards announces her intent to run to represent Utah’s 2nd Congressional District
- The streaming shift from BYUtv to ESPN
- U of U Health, Regence insurance warn they may not reach a contract
- Congressman Chris Stewart announces resignation
- Sen. Lee says he will vote no on debt ceiling agreement
- Lori Vallow Daybell shrugs after being handed docs about delivering up her kids, video shows